What Data Should You Protect?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Data Should You Protect?

• Before I even read the article, I'll say "all of it".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Heh... and now that I've read the article, I'll say again... "All of it". 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Edit: Nevermind. Did like Jeff and commented before reading and read protect as in backup up, not protect as in secure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Easy to say all of it, but sometimes you need to make choices, especially with encryption. Doing the whole database can have a detrimental effect on performance.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/30/2009)

Easy to say all of it, but sometimes you need to make choices, especially with encryption. Doing the whole database can have a detrimental effect on performance.

Nope... didn't mean encrypt it all... limit access. BUT... I was mostly referring to personal information... that MUST be protected. To use your example about birthdates... why would any "casual" user need someone's birthdate? The answer is almost always "never".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• The point of the data about birthdate and Zip code isn't that knowing those allows someone to figure out who you are, it's that those data are adequate to operate as a PK for people in most circumstances.

If you really want to see how much is already available about you out there, take a look at http:\\snitch.name. It's pretty darn easy to find out data about someone on there. It's not really paranoia to assume that everything about you is already known.

Privacy is an illusion. The difference between now and 100 years ago is that now it's cheaper and easier to find out someone's facts. That's all.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hey, I came up first on Snitch! That doesn't happen often. Usually Steve Jones starts with the muscian, golfer, professor or basketball player.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2009)

Hey, I came up first on Snitch! That doesn't happen often. Usually Steve Jones starts with the muscian, golfer, professor or basketball player.

Heh... Celko's picture came up as one of my possible pictures... I'm gonna sue! 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2009)

Hey, I came up first on Snitch! That doesn't happen often. Usually Steve Jones starts with the muscian, golfer, professor or basketball player.

And here I was, assuming you were this multi-tallented shape-shifter born on different days in different years. 🙂

Internet stalking is only fun till you realize it goes both ways. :w00t:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Well they can't freakin' find me. And I'm trying to be found!

Story of my freakin life. Apparently, I am so forgettable that even computers can't remember who the heck I am. I mean c'mon, there's no picture, phone number, anything of me in these things, yet I've got 8000 copies of this information pasted onto this site alone, for Pete's sake!

:angry: #### frickin, frackin stupid frisifrasin ... ####

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Don't worry, Barry, we know who you are!

And I've got your blog in my DBW list, so you'll be showing up soon everywhere!

• Well, that's something then. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• C'mon, where are the "Mark of the Beast" comments??

Really, nature has already given us a GUID. It's called DNA. That bit of technology has been around for billions of years. It's just that we have only recently (by comparison) learned to crack the code. I wouldn't doubt that future technology will allow our DNA to function like an RFID tag. A bit of electronica will "ping" our DNA which will uniquely resonate allowing instant identification. "But DNA doesn't work like that". Sure. So anyway, I believe it's inevitable that somewhere in the not-so-distant future, DNA collection will be mandatory at birth and we will all end up in a database somewhere (it could already be happening). So, the 10-digit thingy is really just an interim step towards that inevitability.

I'm thinking...Gattaca meets 1984 🙂

James Stover, McDBA

• Many sites that want your birthday are trying to determine if you are old enough to be allowed in (13 and up for kid-related sites, 18 and up for others [merchants, hard gaming, whatever]). I generally give them an easy to remember date that makes me old enough to use the site 😉

5/5/55 or 6/6/66 or 7/7/77 are good candidates and are nowhere near my birthdate.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply