What could cause MS Access app as a front-end to SQL, periodically run slow?

• In terms of Access tricks that might help with lag:  once you've moved the data to SQL server there isn't much rationale for requiring everyone to access the SAME access file.  The locking data tracked in the LDB DOES tends to slow stuff down, so - installing the MDB on every workstation actually will speed it up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I've never heard of "Track Name Changes". Thank you for the tip, James.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Matt Miller (4) wrote:

In terms of Access tricks that might help with lag:  once you've moved the data to SQL server there isn't much rationale for requiring everyone to access the SAME access file.  The locking data tracked in the LDB DOES tends to slow stuff down, so - installing the MDB on every workstation actually will speed it up.

I agree with you. However, I can't control users' behavior. If they're going to run the .MDB from off of a network share, even if I tell them not to, they're just going to run it off the network share. 🙁

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Having users share the same front end is a recipe for disaster. Some really smart Access folks have written tools for forcing the distribution of new front ends so that each user is using his own local copy... Maybe Arvin Meyer (www.datastrat.com)? He has a utility "KickEmOut" which kicks everyone out of the "back end"/shared database that might be helpful.

• In the long dark past where I maintained one such Access application, the only thing we published on the shared drive was a click-once application that installed itself to the user's desktop.  It was baked into the "pro" version of Access projects back then so it didn't require you to be one of the super-smart folks piet alludes to.  Putting it local AND stopping the multi-user locking on a single file pretty much obliterated any occurrences of the Access file needing to be repaired, too.

As I mentioned it's been a decade or more since that time so YMMV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply