what are the option left for me?

• In one of the recent crash, I left with no choice then to ask the question here.

MY Virtual server Got some problem because of network and now when its online, its not accpeting Data drive. We able to see all the drives(log,backup,tempdb) but only data drive is no more visible. If we attach that disk to some other server, we able to see the drive.

Now the questions/options are :-

1) Should I need to do the fresh installation and restore from latest working full backup?

2) Should I do the fresh install and try attaching the user databases mdf/ldf from its old location?

Please suggest, What else option left for me.

----------
    Ashish

• Do you intend to continue using the existing VM and is there space for the mdf's?

If so, you should be able to copy them locally and detach/attach the database again with little effort provided the instance comes online. If the system db's were on this drive it'll take more work moving them but still possible.

If its a new VM you're going for, a fresh sql install, copy the ldf and mdf files and you can do straight attach and you "should" be ok.

• Do you intend to continue using the existing VM and is there space for the mdf's?

If so, you should be able to copy them locally and detach/attach the database again with little effort provided the instance comes online. If the system db's were on this drive it'll take more work moving them but still possible.

But the problem is data drive is not coming up and we not able to see the disk structure on Data drive. Because of this we not able to connect the sql server.

you can do straight attach and you "should" be ok.

Is it applicable for system database as well?

----------
    Ashish

• crazy4sql (11/25/2011)

Do you intend to continue using the existing VM and is there space for the mdf's?

But the problem is data drive is not coming up and we not able to see the disk structure on Data drive. Because of this we not able to connect the sql server.

But you said the you can see the data if you attach the driver to another VM? So if you can see the data you could in theory copy it back to old server provided there is space.

crazy4sql (11/25/2011)

you can do straight attach and you "should" be ok.

Is it applicable for system database as well?

No. You're fresh install is better off being a restore following best practice for these

• But you said the you can see the data if you attach the driver to another VM? So if you can see the data you could in theory copy it back to old server provided there is space.

Even if we copy the data, there is very high possibility that attach will not work even for the user database, as they were not detached properly earlier.

So is their any option left other than backup restore of user database.

----------
    Ashish

• 1.Do you have good backups (FULL / Logs) with you?

2.How big the database was?

3.How big the FULL backup is? (just to guess #2)

If you backups are available & DB is not huge, I would recommend restoring the database on a Server (temporary) and direct the client requests to that server. Meanwhile just try to recover your VM and restore the latest DB there (may require a downtime).

• Thanks for response and looking into this post.

Fortunately the system get recoevered and all files are healthy.

The problem was at OS level which get repaired without fresh OS and SQL install

----------
    Ashish

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply