What are options to create DB for develops?

• Hi gurus-

I am new to the forum and new to DBA role. I am using log shipping and set it to updated every 1 hr. However, developers encountered the connection dropped during the process of log shipping and restored developer DB.

I wonder what other options are available for creating DB so that developers can run against? Rather than running against PROD DB.

Thanks

• Yes, they'll lose their connection every time you do a restore, so once an hour.

What else you can do depends on a load of factors, including how much money you have to spend. Transactional replication?

• Do your developers really need data that current to do dev work against?

• They always claim they do :-D.

• They said usually not, but they want me to run a quick update to developer DB if they have new data entered.

My thought is to reduce update from 1 hr to once a day (or twice a day); then I can update manually upon request.

What are the option for me rather than log shipping? or do guy still recommend to continue using log shipping?

Thanks

• They want real data (not real time) from PROD to run crystal report. I don't want them to run against PROD DB.

• Pretty common request, but usually you don't need live data. Run a restore once a day.

By the way, be very, very cautious around giving full access to production data for development. That violates a lot of laws in the US and Europe these days.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• If they're just developing reports it shouldn't matter what the data is, they should be able to tell you whether the report accurately reflects the data in the database regardless of whether it's production data.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply