What are Objective Business Reasons to Prefer SQL Server 2012 over 2008 R2?

• Hi,

Currently we are using SQL Server 2008 R2 on all environments (Client, Production, testing, developmenmt), but using SQL Server Reports developed in 2005 version. I have been assigned a task to upgrade reports from 2005 to 2008, but as 2012 is out there, so the questions is to do compare between 2008/2012 and see what features are we getting, how would it help me to insist my management to upgrade with 2012 (database and reports).

I would like to get some "to the point" answers that will make a powerful decision to either stick on 2008 or move on 2012 (right away or plan it). I have a task to move reports from 2005 to 2008 version and i have to give LOE as there are 50 reports and it would take time to migrate from 2005 to 2008 coz I don't see any built-in procedure for upgrade, but i am asking from myself and the sql community to help me decide what to do right now.

I would like to get answers ASAP. Thanks for your cooperation.

Shamshad Ali.

• IMHO. The main reason to choose SQL Server 2012 is so that you'll obtain the longest support coverage from MS for the platform.

Personally, I prefer to wait for SP1 to come out before using SQL 2012, but that may well occur during your project's lifetime. Although I have not heard of many bugs being reported with 2012.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• shamshad.ali (8/9/2012)

I would like to get answers ASAP.

Everybody would like their answers ASAP.

Reporting-wise (SSRS), there hasn't much changed between 2008R2 and 2012. Some output formats got enhanced and SharePoint integration has changed a bit. But, if you have SharePoint integration, you can use the all new reporting tool PowerView, which is a pretty impressive ad-hoc end user reporting tool.

In the database engine, there are a lot of changes: high availability (AlwaysOn Availability groups), new TSQL functionality (which can perhaps produce faster reports) and of course the columnstore index. This last one can maybe be some real asset to you, as it can really speed up reporting with a magnitude of 50 or more (if you have big queries).

If you use SSIS, there are also a lot of changes there, too much to mention.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Since you are using Reporting in your application, you could offload your reporting load to Secondary Replica in SQL Server 2012 Availability group. Secondary Replica's can be made read-only in SQL 2012 unlike in SQL 2008 where you have DB Mirroring where Secondary DB's are non-readable.

Besides you could have multiple secondary copies [ upto 4 ] and use them all for read operations.

Thanks

Kishore

• shamshad.ali (8/9/2012)

Hi,

Currently we are using SQL Server 2008 R2 on all environments (Client, Production, testing, developmenmt), but using SQL Server Reports developed in 2005 version. I have been assigned a task to upgrade reports from 2005 to 2008, but as 2012 is out there, so the questions is to do compare between 2008/2012 and see what features are we getting, how would it help me to insist my management to upgrade with 2012 (database and reports).

I would like to get some "to the point" answers that will make a powerful decision to either stick on 2008 or move on 2012 (right away or plan it). I have a task to move reports from 2005 to 2008 version and i have to give LOE as there are 50 reports and it would take time to migrate from 2005 to 2008 coz I don't see any built-in procedure for upgrade, but i am asking from myself and the sql community to help me decide what to do right now.

I would like to get answers ASAP. Thanks for your cooperation.

Shamshad Ali.

Making the assumption that SSRS will be installed on a instance by itself, I don't see any reason not to put it on 2012. You will have to buy the same license, so there is no difference in cost.

As was already mentioned, the support will be in place longer than for 2008 R2.

There is no technical reason why a SSRS 2012 will not be able to report against 2005, 2008, or 2008 RS instances.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply