Weird SSIS Catalog deployment problem

• One of the Devs I work with has an interesting issue. When he tries to deploy an SSIS project to the catalog, on one particular server, the deploy fails with the following message logged to the catalog.operation_messages table:

Failed to deploy the project. Fix the problems and try again later.:External component has thrown an exception.

Now, here's the weird part. The dev has two domain logins, both with the exact same privileges, role memberships, etc on this server. He only gets the error when using one of the two logins, the other will deploy the project with no problems...

He's using SSMS to deploy the project in either case and it's the same install of SSMS on his workstation (using Run As... to use his secondary account.)

I tried Googling for the error, with no hits...

Anyone else run into this, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Jason

• jasona.work (5/3/2016)

One of the Devs I work with has an interesting issue. When he tries to deploy an SSIS project to the catalog, on one particular server, the deploy fails with the following message logged to the catalog.operation_messages table:

Failed to deploy the project. Fix the problems and try again later.:External component has thrown an exception.

Now, here's the weird part. The dev has two domain logins, both with the exact same privileges, role memberships, etc on this server. He only gets the error when using one of the two logins, the other will deploy the project with no problems...

He's using SSMS to deploy the project in either case and it's the same install of SSMS on his workstation (using Run As... to use his secondary account.)

Thanks,

Jason

Quick questions, is the development platform the same as the deployment platform?

Are there any third party components used?

Are there any script components used?

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

One of the Devs I work with has an interesting issue. When he tries to deploy an SSIS project to the catalog, on one particular server, the deploy fails with the following message logged to the catalog.operation_messages table:

Thanks,

Jason

Quick questions, is the development platform the same as the deployment platform?

Are there any third party components used?

Are there any script components used?

😎

OK, the Devs SSMS is 11.0.5058.0, while the server is 11.0.6020.0, so he's behind one SP on his workstation.

No third-party stuff.

No script components.

Now a bit more information from him that I'd forgotten. He will occasionally work remotely and RDP into another machine, which does have SSMS 11.0.6020.0 and the deploy fails there as well.

We've got a work-around, seeing as it works when he uses a different login to the same server, plus we're in the process of migrating to SQL2014, so I'm mostly trying to figure out what's going on here for my own edification...

• External component has thrown an exception.

is as meaning less as errors come, possibly a permission missing?

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/3/2016)

External component has thrown an exception.

is as meaning less as errors come, possibly a permission missing?

😎

I'm not quite sure I understood this, but:

Permissions are identical between the two accounts he uses, across all databases he has access to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply