Weird REPLACE behavior

• Has anyone else come across this? I found a REPLACE command that wasn't working as it should, or at least as I expected it should. In the following command: SELECT REPLACE('ken@domain.com', 'ken@domain.com', 'test@test.com') The output replaces the text, as it should. Now: SELECT REPLACE('ken@domain.com', 'watermelon@farm.com', 'test@test.com') gives the expected output of 'ken@domain.com'.

Okay. Two more. SELECT REPLACE('ken@domain.com', 'ken@domain.com', NULL) gives the expected output of NULL. Why does SELECT REPLACE('ken@domain.com', 'watermelon@farm.com', NULL) give NULL as the output, when it should be 'ken@domain.com'?

I've since used a more suitable CASE statement to do this, but I just wanted to bring it to anyone's attention.

-Ken

• I'd guess that they use an internal variable and concatenate the results - since nulls propagate, you wind up with null.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Yea, I figured the underlying MS supplied function isn't handling the nulls properly. This one caught me off guard- Where are the emaill addresses? Some outputs I'd written had all NULL email addresses.

-Ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply