Weird Log Backup Failure message

• I found the same error message in the SQL Error log on 3 dozen different SQL 2019 Standard instances. The message was:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG xxxx. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

They were all Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

The weird thing is that the database name was the exact same one on all the instances BUT that database only exists on ONE of the instances.  The failures all occurred at the same time (1:25PM).

I have no idea how this even possible. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Lee

• Lee Linares wrote:

I found the same error message in the SQL Error log on 3 dozen different SQL 2019 Standard instances. The message was:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG xxxx. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

They were all Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

The weird thing is that the database name was the exact same one on all the instances BUT that database only exists on ONE of the instances.  The failures all occurred at the same time (1:25PM).

I have no idea how this even possible. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Lee

It sounds to me like someone setup some 3rd party app to do backups and didn't do it correctly.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for the swift reply. I have now looked at that idea but found that although we use CommVault for backups, we are not using it on all of our SQL Server instances. 8 of the affected instances are being backed up by "processes" installed by the vendor.

I also looked at the CommVault logs and except for the log backup failure on the one server that actually hosts that database, there were not any other backup failures on the servers that reported the bogus error.

The odd thing is this issue only happened on the SQL 2019 instances.  This all happened yesterday (01/26/2023). No issues today.

Thanks again for the suggestion and quick reply. I really appreciate it.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply