Watch Your Mouth

• TravisDBA (8/29/2012)

OCTom (8/29/2012)

I find excessive cursing (as defined by me) to be tiring. I also have a negative opinion of those who curse excessively, even in a bar. Excessive cursing (again defined by me alone) leaves me with the impression that the speaker lacks intelligence.

Well....If you don't like to hear a lot of cursing, go to a church, not a bar. It's silly to expect otherwise. Also, it is simply untrue that many intelligent people don't curse a lot. Where have you been? As far as impressions go, impressions are like opinions, and opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has got one. It don't mean a thing:-D

Opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has got one, and they usually stink.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

• Skills can be taught, but some people who are good coders just can't grasp new concepts. I've worked with some that were good coders in procedural languages, but never could understand set-based coding. Yet they were diligent workers, team players, and very easy to get along with. And I hated seeing those people being derided because they weren't super-gifted developers.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

• TravisDBA (8/29/2012)

OCTom (8/29/2012)

I find excessive cursing (as defined by me) to be tiring. I also have a negative opinion of those who curse excessively, even in a bar. Excessive cursing (again defined by me alone) leaves me with the impression that the speaker lacks intelligence.

Well....If you don't like to hear a lot of cursing, go to a church, not a bar. It's silly to expect otherwise. Also, it is simply untrue that many intelligent people don't curse a lot. Where have you been? As far as impressions go, impressions are like opinions, and opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has got one. It don't mean a thing:-D

So, do you curse a lot? Did I hit a nerve?

I do tend to stay away from bars for that reason.

• There are many practical reasons to stay away from bars nowadays, avoiding cursing is the least practical reason.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (8/29/2012)

There are many practical reasons to stay away from bars nowadays, avoiding cursing is the least practical reason.:-D

Some of us are just too old for the bar scene.

• Nobody is too old for a bar. Nightclubs are another story.

Cheers

• Seems like a lot of folks are concentrating on cursing as being a bad thing to do at work. I find that occasional cursing is far less offensive than many other things that people do at work. For example...

Try sitting next to someone who chews ice all day.

Try sitting next to someone who wears such heavy perfume that you almost need a gas mask to survive.

Try getting some work done when three folks decide that the perfect place to have an hour long business conversation is right behind you in your 3 wall cube.

Try talking with someone about something THEY need help with and they decide they need to take a call from who knows and THEN come back at you through your boss because you didn't help them.

Try having an intelligent business meeting when some dill weed "fair haired child" project manager that thinks they're God's gift to the world barges in to the meeting room and interrupts the meeting to tell the boss about what a stupid resume they just read.

Try concentrating on a difficult problem while some idiot in the next cube with the table manners of a free-range hog eats what has to be gravel in a glass bowl using the spoon on it like a clapper in a church bell on Sunday morning or the person next to him that uses a spoon to eat everything with slurps so powerful you just know he could suck-start a Harley.

Try sitting in a meeting where some nervous twit is trying to rapidly find out how many clicks it will take to break the clicker on their retractable pen and is practicing for the baton twirling championship of the world at the same time.

Try concentrating when the guy 2 cubes down has his headset turned up so loud you can't actually have a conversation with someone in your own cube.

Try asking someone when they might be done with something and get an answer like "When God meant it to be. Jesus loves you."

In many places of work, most or none of that is an HR offense. Oddly enough, saying something to them about it can be.

Heh... and they say cursing at work is a bad thing. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• F%&$ all that. I share an office with a guy who clears his throat every few seconds and thinks lunch and snacks are about making as many sounds as possible. On top of it, too many people come in our office to chat about everything. I can be on a conf. call and they still don't care. I have screamed at them to shut up and they don't get it. Well, at least they are good at what they do. I just need my own office again like I had for years before we moved.

Cheers

• Absolutely need a "how to work in a noisy office" thread, how it affects folks, what to do about it. I'm one of the luckier ones, one of my cubical mates actually asked how I was doing in the new and noisier environment, and I like the folks I work with and make a point of not complaining (too much) but depending on the difficulty of the task at hand it can be a real problem!

• churlbut (8/29/2012)

Who in their right mind would use curse words in an interview?

I have interviewed people the last few years and this is not the way to get a job.

Also, regardless of whether you hated your last Job, just bring up positives. I saw great candidates make this mistake and they never got the job as my peers saw this as warning signs they would be hiring a trouble maker.

But for some of us, it puts us in a bind. Myself, I err on the side of total honesty. If you ask me how my day is going when I have a toothache, I will likely say my tooth hurts. If you don't want to know, don't ask.

In interviews you are asked why you are looking for a new job. I tend to be happy with what I have, so I usually don't look to move on until idiocy from management forces it. The only honest answer is "my manager is an idiot", but I am forced to say things like "better opportunity" which they hear as more money, or "more responsibility" which they read some other way that isn't accurate.

It was nice when people were just honest in everything they did.

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply