View My Definition

• Thomas Abraham (3/7/2014)

Had to guess, and got it right. Thanks for the question, but questions that are this subjective are deprecated in future versions of SQL Server. 😉

+1

I thought the same about another one recently....

• i chose None of the above, because the AD group does not have the domain in the command, making it invalid.

--no such user or role

/*

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

Cannot find the login 'QODListMembers', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

*/

Grant VIEW ANY DEFINITION to QODListMembers

--the group supposedly exists

Grant VIEW ANY DEFINITION to mydomain\QODListMembers

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Ford Fairlane (3/6/2014)

Could have been this or could have been that but we assume the other.... didn't like the question.

Neither did I.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• From my previous hands-on experience, the correct answer should be "View Definition must be granted in each database". and by the way that`s the highest percentage answer.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Lowell (3/7/2014)

i chose None of the above, because the AD group does not have the domain in the command, making it invalid.

--no such user or role

/*

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

Cannot find the login 'QODListMembers', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

*/

Grant VIEW ANY DEFINITION to QODListMembers

--the group supposedly exists

Grant VIEW ANY DEFINITION to mydomain\QODListMembers

My answer was none of the above 🙁 . How do SQL Server identify that QODListMembers is an Active directory Group?

• I appreciate the comments - writing good questions is hard! I've got another one I'm working on now.

• @Andy - Waiting for your next question. This question was useful, I have gone through almost all the options given in the answer before clicking on 'None of the above' . Gave me a chance to refresh permissions, thanks for the question.

• interesting question..

thanks Andy.

• Hany Helmy (3/7/2014)

Ford Fairlane (3/6/2014)

Could have been this or could have been that but we assume the other.... didn't like the question.

Neither did I.

Nor did I. Certainly a server level pemission makes sense if "various databases" means "every database on the instance" but the more natural interpretation is surely that "various databases" means what it says, not "each and every database" so that grants on the various databases rather than a grant at server level are what is required. Also, I believe that the absence of a domain qualification on the principlal name means it can't be the server login for an AD group, so it must be a database user and what's claimed to be the correct answer isn't even a possible answer.

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply