Validate object name

• Do you guys know what sp or function validates the name of the objects so that brackets are used to refer to it... like in EM if you name a column "case" it will be referred has [case].

I often found myself writing scripts that output columns from our database (that have way too many columns with "abnormal names" like ""n° bon de travail"") and the scripts fail when I don't use [] for every columns which makes the code much less readable).

I tried running a trace will making a columns but nothing came out of it. I also found functions on the net that would return are alpha numeric characters but I'd preffer not to alter the names at all besides brackets.

• You could try using quotename in your queries.

Check BOL for usage.

• I believe (and I may be wrong...) that the square brackets are required for any name that matches a reserved word (i.e. "user") or has special characters, including blanks (i.e. "First Name" -> [First Name]). I don't think the brackets are required for a database or column name that meets the standards. So to refer to database "dbo.Employee Data" you'd need

dbo.[Employee Data]

to refer to the "cn" column in that database:

dbo.[Employee Data].cn

to refer to the "User" column in that database:

dbo.[Employee Data].[User]

This is all discussed in BOL under naming conventions.

• Thanx for all your replies but I think I wasn't too clear in my question.  I'm already well aware of the naming conventions and that this DB is breaking about every rule in almost every Object name.  What I need is a function like this :

Create procedure dbo.ValidateObjName @sObjName as varchar(255)

as

if @sObjName is valid

select @sObjName

else

select '[' + sObjName + ']'

GO

All I want is something that will return the name in brackets when the Object name breaks any of the conventions' rules.  And My question is this : is there any available SP in the master database or anywhere else that can do this work for me?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply