UTF-8 Requirement for DB - will it work with SQL2014

• HI,
    My sys admin sends me an email asking me to install a new DB. It for the IM presence service (Cisco). I noticed this in the documentation:

In compliance with XMPP specifications, the IM and Presence Service node uses UTF8 character encoding. This allows the node to operate using many languages simultaneously and to display special language characters correctly in the client interface. If you want to use Microsoft SQL with the node, you must configure it to support UTF8.

These new DB's would be installed on my production server. My production SQL server is using what the default encoding is (iso_1?).

Will I have trouble due to this new DB wanting to use UTF-8? Is there a way to set the encoding at an instance level?

• krypto69 - Friday, January 4, 2019 6:06 AM

HI,
    My sys admin sends me an email asking me to install a new DB. It for the IM presence service (Cisco). I noticed this in the documentation:

In compliance with XMPP specifications, the IM and Presence Service node uses UTF8 character encoding. This allows the node to operate using many languages simultaneously and to display special language characters correctly in the client interface. If you want to use Microsoft SQL with the node, you must configure it to support UTF8.

These new DB's would be installed on my production server. My production SQL server is using what the default encoding is (iso_1?).

Will I have trouble due to this new DB wanting to use UTF-8? Is there a way to set the encoding at an instance level?

SQL Server 2014 doesn't know UTF-8 from UFO and will convert the data automatically on insert. If you need to store UTF-8 without conversion, you'll have to store it as a binary.
    😎

• krypto69 - Friday, January 4, 2019 6:06 AM

HI,

You need to contact Cisco and ask them what to do in SQL Server 2014 other than doing an upgrade (which would be the best but not always possible).  It's their requirement... ask them how to accomplish it or work around it in 2014 because, like Eirikur said above, it's just not going to happen for 2014.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks guys. Appreciate the advise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply