Using string functions on Text

• Hi,

I've below value in a column with data type - TEXT

QU 221025U2V/AN G-DT DL A 5 1A- 11,5,SF,230,30162,LZ,2,118,0,0,10170,25,06

This text value has some special characters in it. and I could not paste the exact value as this text box is not allowing me to do so. So, for reference I've attached a screenshot (Capture.png) of the value.

I want to fetch last two values from this text i.e. 25 and 06. (It can be anything like 56R,06T but will be the last two values separated by comma)

Please help.

AP
  • Anshul.P (5/26/2015)

Hi,

I've below value in a column with data type - TEXT

QU 221025U2V/AN G-DT DL A 5 1A- 11,5,SF,230,30162,LZ,2,118,0,0,10170,25,06

This text value has some special characters in it. and I could not paste the exact value as this text box is not allowing me to do so. So, for reference I've attached a screenshot (Capture.png) of the value.

I want to fetch last two values from this text i.e. 25 and 06. (It can be anything like 56R,06T but will be the last two values separated by comma)

Please help.

Will there always be a special character at the end of the normal characters?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yes, there will always be a special character in the end.

I've tried something as below, it works, but with certain values.

DECLARE @txtMessageText varchar(max)

set @txtMessageText = 'QU - 119480,8377,EX,0810,4300,LT,3,154,1,0,15005,08R,17'

SELECT

REPLACE(SUBSTRING(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max)),LEN(REVERSE(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max))))-CHARINDEX(',',REVERSE(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max))),CHARINDEX(',',REVERSE(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max))))+2)+2,4),',','')

,REPLACE(SUBSTRING(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max)),LEN(REVERSE(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max))))-CHARINDEX(',',REVERSE(CAST(@txtMessageText as varchar(max))))+2,4),'','')

AP
  • DECLARE @txtMessageText VARCHAR(MAX)

SET @txtMessageText = 'QU - 119480,8377,EX,0810,4300,LT,3,154,1,0,15005,08R,17'

-- NOTE: STUFF() removes the final character from the string. Since the string is

-- reversed, the expression is STUFF(expression,1,1,'')

SELECT vcTxet,

[Element_n-1] = REVERSE(SUBSTRING(x.vcTxet,y.FirstComma+1,y.SecondComma-y.FirstComma-1)),

[Element_n] = REVERSE(STUFF(SUBSTRING(x.vcTxet,1,y.FirstComma-1),1,1,''))

FROM (SELECT MessageText = @txtMessageText) d -- < this is a one-row mockup of your table

CROSS APPLY ( -- cast to VC and reverse

SELECT vcTxet = REVERSE(CAST(d.MessageText AS VARCHAR(MAX)))

) x

CROSS APPLY ( -- calculate the comma positions in the reversed VC string

SELECT

FirstComma = CHARINDEX(',',x.vcTxet,1),

SecondComma = CHARINDEX(',',x.vcTxet,CHARINDEX(',',x.vcTxet,1)+1)

) y

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Here's another approach that eliminates the REVERSE, but uses Jeff's DelimitedSplit8K function to pull the last two items from the list. Since you say it'll always be there but you don't want it, the CTE pulls off the last character from the string before splitting it.

DECLARE @strText VARCHAR(8000);

SET @strText = 'QU - 119480,8377,EX,0810,4300,LT,3,154,1,0,15005,08R,17';

WITH cteData AS (

SELECT SUBSTRING(@strText, 1, LEN(@strText) - 1) DelimitedString

)

SELECT TOP 2 s.itemnumber, s.item

FROM cteData d

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K(d.DelimitedString, ',') s

ORDER BY s.ItemNumber DESC;

• Thanks a lot for your help Ed and Chris. It works.

Cheers!..

AP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply