Using Sparse Columns and Sparse Column Sets

• Good Question...!

Best,
    Naseer Ahmad
    SQL Server DBA

• Good question Wayne learned something about XML Column_Set.

• Nice question. I only got this one right because there was another sparse column question recently that I had to do research on.

I would be interested in seeing a SSC poll on the usage of sparse columns and sets. I have yet to run across any examples of them in production.

• KWymore (9/5/2012)

Nice question. I only got this one right because there was another sparse column question recently that I had to do research on.

I would be interested in seeing a SSC poll on the usage of sparse columns and sets. I have yet to run across any examples of them in production.

I would also like to see how much they are used!!

• (Bob Brown) (9/5/2012)

KWymore (9/5/2012)

Nice question. I only got this one right because there was another sparse column question recently that I had to do research on.

I would also like to see how much they are used!!

I guess that one of the easiest examples to give is... Sharepoint.

You can upload a document into it. You can specify various properties of that document. For each type of document, only some of the properties are relevant. As you add more properties to handle more document types, the number of irrelevant columns just increase for each type of document. With potentially an unlimited number to the types of documents, each document will have irrelevant properties... yet they are still being dragged around in the row, and they are taking up space. Unless it's a sparse column, which only takes up space if it has non-null data.

Does this help?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Yes, Thank you so much Wayne!

• Nice example Wayne. Thanks!

• Good question, I don't have too much experience with sparse columns and/or XML, but definitely learned something new today.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• Very good question Wayne. Thanks.

Sujeet Singh

• Thanks for a good question wayne

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Great question...................:)

• good question that I missed but learned from.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply