Using OPENROWSET to import CSV files

• Hi

I am trying to import a CSVs file using OPENROWSET and import this into a database

my problem is the CSV files may contain a varying number of columns

i have tried using

SELECT BulkColumn

FROM OPENROWSET (BULK '\\10.1.2.107\rp_uploaded_files\file.csv', SINGLE_CLOB) MyFile

but this puts all the values into one fields

i have also tried

set @string ='BULK INSERT CSVTest FROM ''\\10.1.2.107\rp_uploaded_files\'+@file+''' WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR = '','',ROWTERMINATOR = '''')'

exec (@string)

but this requires the destintation table to have the same number of columns as the import file

Can anyone advise

thanks

Simon

• Have you tried using OPENROWSET as SELECT INTO which will create the table in the database.

SELECT * INTO [i]you select the name of the table to be created[/i] FROM OPENROWSET( ...........

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• You could use Select ... Into ... and dump the data into a temp table. If you have row names in the first row, you can use those to then generate a table, or to generate an XML definition and store the data that way. (I prefer storing sem-structured data as XML, since that's what it's best at.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi thanks for that

i have tried

SELECT * into Mytable

FROM OPENROWSET (BULK '\\10.1.2.107\rp_uploaded_files\file.csv', SINGLE_CLOB) MyFile

but this puts all the data into one column and one row

what i need it for it to be place in the database in seperate columns and seperate rows,

can you help

thanks

Simon

• Unzip the file I attached here, and try this:

select *

into #T

from openrowset('MSDASQL', 'Driver={Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)};

DefaultDir={path to file, not including file name};Extensions=csv;',

'select * from CSV1_4_Cols.csv') Test;

select *

from #T;

Once it's in the temp table, you can work with it as needed. You can query tempdb.sys.columns, using object_id(), to get the column names and definitions if you need those for something (in a dynamic data-source situation, you probably will need those).

You can use IMEX in the OpenRowset definition if you have intermixed data types in the csv file columns (another common situation).

You'll have to plug your actual file path into the query. Let me know if what I typed there isn't clear enough.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for that

i seem to be getting this error

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "(null)" returned message "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified".

Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "(null)"

obviously i need to create somesort of linked server, but not sure how to go about it

can you help

thanks

simon

• What operating system are you running this on? Is it 64-bit? If so, you might need to get a driver for the ODBC connection. Google/Bing that.

Property of The Thread

• Stop trying to use OPENROWSET to do imports. Use BULK INSERT instead.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi

Use bulk insert instead.

BULK INSERT <table name>

FROM <path name where the csv resides>.

You have varying options that You can use by setting the parameters for the bulk insert option correspondingly.

• Hi

yes im using a 64bit sever

im having trouble locating to odbc drivers for this and can only find 32bit

can you point me in the right direction

thanks

simon

• Hi

i have tried using BULK INSERT

using

set @string ='BULK INSERT CSVTest FROM ''\\10.1.2.107\rp_uploaded_files\'+@file+''' WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR = '','',ROWTERMINATOR = '''')'

exec (@string)

but this requires the destintation table to have the same number of columns as the import file

The files i want to import have an unknown number of coulmns

Can you help at all?

Simon

• Simon Parry (11/6/2009)

Hi

yes im using a 64bit sever

im having trouble locating to odbc drivers for this and can only find 32bit

can you point me in the right direction

thanks

simon

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=000364db-5e8b-44a8-b9be-ca44d18b059b&displaylang=en

Property of The Thread

• Hi thanks for that

unfortunately i still get the same error

sorry if im missing something here

can you help?

thank you

simon

• If you have the driver correctly installed, then the error is most likey to be from not having the correct filename and/or path in the openrowset command.

Property of The Thread

• Simon Parry (11/6/2009)

Hi

i have tried using BULK INSERT

using

exec (@string)

The files i want to import have an unknown number of coulmns

Can you help at all?

Simon

Yep... attach a copy of one of the files (unless it has private info in it) to your next post and tell me what you think you'd like to do with it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply