Using Notification Services on a SQL 2008 server

• Hi

We are currently upgrading one our servers from 2005 to 2008.

One of the services running on the old server is a Notification Services instance.

I am aware that Microsoft has discontinued the Notification Services from the 2008 release.

But I've found a (non-working) link to what is referred to as "Notification Services Components Package", but the link doesn't work anymore. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=614FFDF3-C608-4BD3-9061-AE37DCC81E2B&displaylang=en)

As I read this article (http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/archive/2008/09/10/60708.aspx), that package was supposed to get Notification services running on an SQL 2008 server.

Does anybody know where this package has disappeared to, or whether it simply became impossible to deliver, and thus discontinued and never made it to manufacturing?

Best regards

/Anders

• Has anyone been able to configure Notification Services using a SQL 2008 R2 database? (or even SQL 2008) Is it possible?

I'm trying to configure it, but my SQL 2008 R2 instance is a named instance (on the same server as the default SQL 2005 instance) and NS will not permit a HostedProvider SystemName containing a backslash.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as we would like to move forward with SQL 2008 R2 but are, at least for now, committed to using NS as part of our application.

Thanks!

• Hi Mary Ann

Yes. You need to configure Service Broker to provide the notification queue. Shown as a short SQL Statement in Enabling Query Notifications (ADO.NET). After that ensure that your SQL Statement fulfills all requirements specified in Creating a Query for Notification.

That's it.

Ensure that you start notifications by calling SqlDependency.Start() before creating the first notification queries.

Greets

Flo

• Flo,

Thank you for a prompt response, but I'm creating a SQL Notification Services instance with the event queries all contained within an Application Definition xml file. The instance has been working fine for quite some time with a SQL 2005 database.

I don't think the SqlDependency class is relevant to this application -- as far as I know. There is no .NET code involved in the notification definitions.

The Application Definition file contains the following elements

<HostedProvider>

<ProviderName>BinaryAlarmActiveSQLProvider</ProviderName>

<ClassName>SQLProvider</ClassName>

<SystemName>%_NSServer_%</SystemName>

<Schedule>

<Interval>P0DT00H00M25S</Interval>

</Schedule>

<Arguments>

<Argument>

<Name>EventsQuery</Name>

<Value>

--Insert new data into the chronicle if it doesn't already exist.

• Didn't mean to post that just yet -- apologies for that!

In the snippet in the 'previous' post, I would like to put the server name in the <SystemName> element, but it does not allow backslashes, so I don't see how to specify the named instance of SQL 2008 R2.

Thanks for your consideration --

Mary Ann

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply