Using Dual Monitors vs Single Large Monitor

• It would be cool to see pics of peoples rigs that they use:cool:

***SQL born on date Spring 2013:-)

• I'm remote so I have a 17" laptop that I've had extended onto a 24" in my home office. I'm about to purchase a 16" USB powered monitor as well so I can use both my desktop and laptop simultaneously with synergy[/url]. I hope it works.

• matthew.f.unger (5/12/2014)

I'm remote so I have a 17" laptop that I've had extended onto a 24" in my home office. I'm about to purchase a 16" USB powered monitor as well so I can use both my desktop and laptop simultaneously with synergy[/url]. I hope it works.

I've used Synergy. It works fairly well, but I always had an issue with it when I tried to unlock my computers. Since both my desktop and and laptop are windows-based, I've switch to Mouse Without Borders. It has a few more features then Synergy, but you lose the cross-platform ability.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• Love having 2 monitors. However, in my case, my company only provides 14" laptop which stinks. But I have a 27" second monitor. So yes, I love 2 monitors but hate the fact that they are two very different sizes. I can't believe in this day and age that a company does not get at least 17" laptops for peoples daily work. It is a proven fact that the bigger the monitor the better the productivity. And the question should also suggest is why is everyone at my company buying second monitors to begin with! By the end of the day my eyes get tired of switching from 14" to 27" and back again all day long.

• I have also been reading about portrait mode any one use this? Flip your monitor vertically for longer coding?

• LightVader (5/12/2014)I've used Synergy. It works fairly well, but I always had an issue with it when I tried to unlock my computers. Since both my desktop and and laptop are windows-based, I've switch to Mouse Without Borders. It has a few more features then Synergy, but you lose the cross-platform ability.

Thanks! I'll give it a try as I'm all Windows all the time on the client side.

• thomashohner (5/12/2014)

I have also been reading about portrait mode any one use this? Flip your monitor vertically for longer coding?

Apart from straining the neck:hehe:, not really, most who I have seen flip it back after a little while.

😎

• Thoughts on this bundle? Seems pricey but I'm a very cheap kind of guy. You guys think this is worth the $750?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=DP2414H&ST=pla&dgc=ST&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

• thomashohner (5/12/2014)

I have also been reading about portrait mode any one use this? Flip your monitor vertically for longer coding?

A few of the Red Gate devs do this. I haven't usually had the space, but I'm thinking to try this with one of my 24" monitors. Course, I want to get a third, 20" one, hooked up first.

• Steve, if and when you get the third please let me know how that goes. I have been debating that also. If two is good threes got to be better:-D

• I used to have four. However on the standing desk, I found myself looking down more than I'd like at the lower two.

One of the lower ones died, and that messed me up for a bit.

What I'd like to do is fix my keyboard situation (on my list) and then put a third monitor in line with the other two (need some stand). Then I'll flip one and use that.

I used to have 3 in a row at a sitting desk, and it worked Ok, but really I used the third one for stuff to monitor, but not really work with. The throw from side to side was too far, and didn't work well for my neck.

• Nice!, I think the posture neck thing is definetly hard to deal with. Its trying to find that perfect comfortable angle.

This is my office setup currently. It sits a little to low for my liking. Cant raise it because of the way my desk is configured. I will be working from home soon so I will be building a new rig from scratch.

• My primary computer at work is a laptop with 17" screen, so that and a second monitor (I think 19" - never measured it) is what I use. There's no way I could function with just a single monitor. I also have a second computer at my desk with one monitor I use quite often, and with it I have three monitors at my disposal. I used to use Synergy to share my clipboard between the computers which was NICE, but it's too buggy so I just save to a shared and reopen on the other computer now in the rare occasion I have to copy between systems.

• I say stick with what works. 2 or more monitors is pretty much a base requirement these days.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This appears to be a good time of year to shop for some. I just don't know much about the different brands. I do know when I get my new ones finally ordered that I want something good with text, easy on the eyes and HDMI input.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply