Using Date in Where Condition

• sgmunson - Friday, October 6, 2017 8:31 AM

aloshya - Friday, October 6, 2017 8:20 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, October 6, 2017 8:10 AM

aloshya - Friday, October 6, 2017 8:03 AM

My date column is varchar,

Same difference.  It'll be implicitly converted to datetime.  This is an example of why tables should be designed with the correct data types.

John

I can change that and usually, I am comfortable with datatypes except for date . : 🙂

I'd  suggest that your data is likely to contain time values in addition to the date.   You'll have to take a good close look at your data, and perhaps do the following query to see if any of your data has a problem:
    SELECT *
    FROM yourtable
    WHERE TRYCONVERT(datetime, yourcolumnname) IS NULL;

Be sure to use your table name and your column name in place of what I coded.   If that query returns 0 rows, then you can probably safely change the data type in place, but for safety, probably a better idea to add a new datetime column, and then populate it using a CONVERT(datetime, existingcolumnname).

Now i changed it to date 
    Even, Whats the correct way to search in date datatype ,  01/01/2012 or  01-01-2012

• aloshya - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:24 AM

Even, Whats the correct way to search in date datatype ,  01/01/2012 or  01-01-2012

Neither.  The universally recognised format is 20120101.

John

sgmunson - Friday, October 6, 2017 8:31 AM

Same difference.  It'll be implicitly converted to datetime.  This is an example of why tables should be designed with the correct data types.

John

I can change that and usually, I am comfortable with datatypes except for date . : 🙂

I'd  suggest that your data is likely to contain time values in addition to the date.   You'll have to take a good close look at your data, and perhaps do the following query to see if any of your data has a problem:
    SELECT *
    FROM yourtable

Be sure to use your table name and your column name in place of what I coded.   If that query returns 0 rows, then you can probably safely change the data type in place, but for safety, probably a better idea to add a new datetime column, and then populate it using a CONVERT(datetime, existingcolumnname).

Now i changed it to date 

Use '20120101' ('YYYYMMDD'). The SQL Server query processor implicitly converts that into a DATE for you.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

John

SELECT *
    FROM yourtable

Now i changed it to date 

Use YYYYMMDD or YYYY-MM-DD.   The former is an ISO standard, if that helps.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• All advices offered above are valid. However, it is possible to write the query with only one date - the one you want. 

Once, I had  similar problem. The first approach was exactly what you tried, and exactly the same way - it did not work

SELECT * FROM Audit_Codebooks
    WHERE UpdateDate = '2012-09-13'
    -- (0 row(s) affected)

The problem was column UpdateDate was defined as DateTime, which stored values with minutes,seconds and parts of a second, like ths '2012-09-13 10:20:58.067'. That is not equal to '2012-09-13', regardless of actual data types. Since you are probably using version of SQL > 2012, you can do what we did - casted UpdateDate to Date.

After we casted UpdateDate to Date, the query returned 800+ rows:

SELECT
    FROM Audit_Codebooks
    WHERE CAST(UpdateDate AS DAte) = '2012-09-13'
    ;
    -- -- (862 row(s) affected)

If your version of T SQL does not suport type Date (date without minute/seconds etc), you can find easily on the web how to use ony date part for given column.

I hope this solved the problem

🙂

• Zidar - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:39 AM

All advices offered above are valid. However, it is possible to write the query with only one date - the one you want. 

Once, I had  similar problem. The first approach was exactly what you tried, and exactly the same way - it did not work

-- (0 row(s) affected)

The problem was column UpdateDate was defined as DateTime, which stored values with minutes,seconds and parts of a second, like ths '2012-09-13 10:20:58.067'. That is not equal to '2012-09-13', regardless of actual data types. Since you are probably using version of SQL > 2012, you can do what we did - casted UpdateDate to Date.

SELECT
    FROM Audit_Codebooks
    ;

If your version of T SQL does not suport type Date (date without minute/seconds etc), you can find easily on the web how to use ony date part for given column.

🙂

Be careful with that approach.  The problem is that the predicate in the WHERE clause becomes non-sargable and therefore if you have an index on the column, it can't be used for a seek operation.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, October 6, 2017 10:02 AM

Zidar - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:39 AM

All advices offered above are valid. However, it is possible to write the query with only one date - the one you want. 

-- (0 row(s) affected)

SELECT
    FROM Audit_Codebooks
    ;

🙂

Be careful with that approach.  The problem is that the predicate in the WHERE clause becomes non-sargable and therefore if you have an index on the column, it can't be used for a seek operation.

John

And there are always exceptions.  If the column is defined as a datetime data type, that version is still SARGable.

• aloshya - Friday, October 6, 2017 8:03 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, October 6, 2017 7:59 AM

aloshya - Friday, October 6, 2017 7:55 AM

It returns the result for that particular date,
    even why we want to pass two dates for selecting records  for one particular date.

One particular date is actually one particular point in time.  That's why you need two of them: a beginning point and an end point.  If you want your dates to be discrete instead of continuous, change the data type of the column from datetime to date.

John

There's gotta be a 'bot running loose somewhere around here.  Why anyone would give a LIKE to using VARCHAR as a date column, even one in yyyymmdd format, is totally beyond me.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

-- (0 row(s) affected)

SELECT
    FROM Audit_Codebooks
    ;

🙂

John

SELECT
    FROM Audit_Codebooks
    ;

🙂

Don't do it that way even if it does "work".  It makes a "non-SARGable" predicate where the query is forced to, at best, do an index scan rather than a seek.  The reason why the pro's on this thread are using the 2 date version is because it's actually the proper way to do it to allow the code to do an index seek.,

I agree that, as a human, you won't see much difference in performance on 800 rows but the method you used is a really bad habit to get into because it will make a serious difference in high hit queries and large batch processing..

{EDIT} My apologies.  I had forgotten that you CAN do this with DATE and still have the column be SARGable in 2016.
    As a bit of a sidebar, I'll probably never get used to that exception and will likely continue to use the 2 part date check.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

-- (0 row(s) affected)

SELECT
    FROM Audit_Codebooks
    ;

🙂

John

So, by Using convert or casr in where clause how does it affect the index column.

• sgmunson - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:28 AM

aloshya - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:24 AM

John

SELECT *
    FROM yourtable

Now i changed it to date 

Use YYYYMMDD or YYYY-MM-DD.   The former is an ISO standard, if that helps.

is it applicable everywhere  for date related fucntion like datepart,datediff etc 

select * ,DATEDIFF (day,P.LASTCHANGED,'20170221') as YY
    from [SRV-RVS].dbo.EMP as p

• aloshya - Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:36 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, October 6, 2017 10:02 AM

John

So, by Using convert or casr in where clause how does it affect the index column.

It does not affect anything.
    But it means that if there is an index on the column, that index cannot be used – leading to an expensive scan rather than (potentially) a seek.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:47 AM

aloshya - Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:36 AM

John

But it means that if there is an index on the column, that index cannot be used – leading to an expensive scan rather than (potentially) a seek.

Now the real dilemma is how to write a better query. i always focus on returning the result but  was unsure of  other areas like query  performance.

• Phil Parkin - Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:47 AM

John

Except - as Lynn pointed out - CASTing DATETIME column to DATE. It's SARGable.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• ChrisM@home - Saturday, October 7, 2017 3:25 PM

Phil Parkin - Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:47 AM

John

Except - as Lynn pointed out - CASTing DATETIME column to DATE. It's SARGable.

Jeez... after more than 20 years of doing it the other way, I'm probably never going to get used to that exception.  I went back and corrected my post above.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply