Users assigned to browser role can't edit the To address when setting subscription

• I set up SSRS for my company and started migrating some db mail jobs I have over to reporting services so people can set up their own subscriptions and/or run these reports on-demand. I have assigned them the browser role. It appears that none of them can get into the To: box to edit the address (SSRS puts their windows login ID in the box). The email would fail if SSRS used their windows login ID. I don't want to give them any more ability than to run the reports they are permitted to run and set up their own subscriptions. Can I tweak that browser role to let them do that? How? Is there another role I can use that would let them do that, but not give them any more permissions than I want them to have?

I thank you for your time in advance.

• gbankos (2/18/2011)

I set up SSRS for my company and started migrating some db mail jobs I have over to reporting services so people can set up their own subscriptions and/or run these reports on-demand. I have assigned them the browser role. It appears that none of them can get into the To: box to edit the address (SSRS puts their windows login ID in the box). The email would fail if SSRS used their windows login ID. I don't want to give them any more ability than to run the reports they are permitted to run and set up their own subscriptions. Can I tweak that browser role to let them do that? How? Is there another role I can use that would let them do that, but not give them any more permissions than I want them to have?

I thank you for your time in advance.

The short answer is no because a browser is just a user of SSRS while creating subscription is implicit Job creation which defaults to System Admin so you need to create the subscriptions. The other option is to give higher permissions to one or two people who can create subscriptions for all the people in their Windows group.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thank you for your help with this. If I (system admin) create a subscription to go to them, is there a way for me to assign that subscription to them so they see it in the 'my subscriptions' when they click on that?

• gbankos (2/23/2011)

Thank you for your help with this. If I (system admin) create a subscription to go to them, is there a way for me to assign that subscription to them so they see it in the 'my subscriptions' when they click on that?

If you create it they can see it and even delete it if they don't want it, here are all the predefined roles and use what you need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157363.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• As Gift said, if they can see it, they can delete it. That is true.

By default, the Browser role has a permission called "Manage individual subscriptions" enabled. This is what your users have. This permission does not permit the user to enter an email address.

There is another permission that allows a user to change any subscription (in the folders / reports they have permissions) - this permission is called "Manage all subscriptions".

What I have done in the past is to create a new role that has "Manage all subscriptions" and then assign that role to the people who need it.

You need to connect to reporting services using Management Studio so that you can view/change the permissions a role has.

• Okay. Thanks to both of you for your input.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply