Usage of ad-hoc SQL Express instances within an organzation

• Hi there,

I'm interested to get feedback from people on how SQL express is being utilized in their environments. Our current environment is realtively small, but we've got about 50 servers running SQL, most of those are express, with maybe 6 running Standard. I say 'our' but in reality I'm fairly new to the company and I'm their first DBA ever.

I've got approval for a consolidation strategy, which will bring that number down considerably, not to mention making this much easier to manage.

A number these express installations are the back end for IT operational software, like auditing applications, WSUS, backup software, anti-virus & wallboard systems, things where the acceptable recovery option (as per the business) is to go back to the last nightly full backup (VM server image, not SQL DB).

Most of these instances are installed by the applications install wizard, and performed by the windows server guys, so many times I don't even discover their existance immediately (or at least I have to find them vs being told).

I was interested to know if others have these types of instances & how they are handling the management of them. The business & the rest of IT Ops says they don't care that they are express & unmanaged, but they are SQL instances and as a DBA it is still instinctive for me to want to manage them.

Do you insist on these express DBs be moved/installed onto communal standard or high instances? Do you let them go an have them sign off on the risk, knowing full well that one day you'll still need to get them out of a bind?

I should add I'm not looking specifically for advice, but just to get a feel for what others do & what is common plac.

cheers, Mark

• I'd start with listing the installations/DB's I'm aware of and try to identify the data owner.

Then I'd try to categorize the DB's: owner, type of usage (maintenance, dev, prod, reporting, "toys"...), accepted amount (time) of lost data, current backup strategy,...

Based on that I would create a scenario for each category. If there are benefits for centralization, name it. If there are significant advantages of a Standard Edition vs. Express, name. Discuss the results with the data owner and make them aware of the risks and the options to avoid it.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• there was a recent thread on teh same subject:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1056364-324-1.aspx

a lot of people reported they lean towards a "don't ask don't tell" policy, so if they don't ask for your expertise and management, they are on their own, and the consequences that follow.

see if that thread gives you any ideas.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• My personal opinion, when I find out about an ad-hoc instance of SQL server out there, is to attempt to find the owner(s), and discuss with them bringing them onto the central structure. If they're not interested (We're just find as is, thankyouverymuch!), there's not even a signoff from my perspective. It's their own software and IT is not involved in the development, administration, or control of it.

It's like centralizing Excel work from my perspective. If you want it built well and powerful and have all sorts of backup and automation strategies, cool, send me your Excel spreadsheets. If not, well, you're on your own, I'll help you if I can when it goes ka-thud. These are open ended tools for our end users to get their jobs done with, not full bore applications that need our constant supervision.

Yes, we'll probably be pulled in later for some disaster or another, but I've been pulled off of optimizing a database to help with a MS Word Mail Merge. 'eh, it happens. I wouldn't sweat them. I personally would worry about the ones I AM responsible for, and when those are settled in I'd offer further support to the outlyers, if they wanted it.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• marklegosz (2/28/2011)

...how they are handling the management of them. The business & the rest of IT Ops says they don't care that they are express & unmanaged, but they are SQL instances and as a DBA it is still instinctive for me to want to manage them.

No need to be more papist than the Pope himself.

Publish a list of supported databases approved by your boss - anything not in the list does not exists.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply