Urgent:How to pass a column name as a parameter to stored proc

• Hi,

Here is the senario.

I have 2 tables with same stucture(with same no. of columns, same column names and the same no. of records)

so i would like to pass this column as a variable name to a stored proc

and want to do something like this

CREATE PROC SP_InsUpdateExcp

@field VARCHAR(3)

AS

SELECT A.ID_TOWN, A.@field, B.@field, GETDATE()  FROM SampleTable1 A

INNER JOIN SampleTable2 B

ON A.ID_TOWN = B.ID_TOWN

WHERE A.@field != A.@field

GO

But this is not gonna work ... can anyone sujjest me a solution for the above problem

• Why can't you just use a regular statement and create one Sp per statement?

• Use dynamic sql in procedure

• I would really use that as a LAST RESORT.  In 2000+ sps created I only had to use dynamic sql once, and it was for admin tasks.

• I really like to know the approaches..

which can be used in this situation .

I understand the situation as  Creating the resultset based on user requested columns .

• In such a case.  You use views to block access to base tables and grant access on them.

Then you code a query builder and secure the heck out of it (Forbid words like ";", go, delete, insert, update, alter, create, etc).  Then you let the application generate the sql statement.  But this is really something I rarely let the users do... you need a query, come see me and I'll build it for you (so they don't have to waste time learning the tables system).

• Thanks for your quick response..

what are the disadvantages of using dynamic sql in stored procedure over your specified approach ( I really didn't get it properly)

• Basically if you generate the statement like this :

Select * from dbo.Users where username = '" & txtUsers & "' and pass = " & txtPass & "'"

All the user as to do to access you site is this :

txtUser = "admin"

txtPass = " ' or '1' <> ' "

So your statement has been altered to become this :

Select * from dbo.Users where username = 'admin' and pass = '' or '1' <> ''

Boom access granted.  Both the user could do much more than that if no security is in place... create tables, drop tables.  alter the price of products.

• I appreciate the explanation..

I guess you are talking about cons of dynamic sql.. Any way our situation is not this.. we are selecting columns dynamically from a table

I agree that dynamic sql is a double edged sword, it can be used rather carefully

Thanks for nice explanation

• Same difference.  Nothing stops the user from doing anything he wants.

the statement can be split like...

Select * from dbo.SysObjects ; drop table products ; select...

Nothing forbids him of doing that either... It's only limited by his imagination and your security measures.

• I am totally agree with you..

But with careful validation of User Input at Front End Side and in Stored Procedure we can eliminate this type of vulnerabilities

Basically I like dynamic sql, because it adds new dimension to the sql

• I've never seen a way to have total security with dynamic sql.. that's why i don't use it among other things.

• SELECT A.ID_TOWN,

CASE @field WHEN 'Col01' then A.Col01 WHEN 'Col02' then A.Col02 WHEN ... END,

CASE @field WHEN 'Col01' then B.Col01 WHEN 'Col02' then B.Col02 WHEN ... END, 

GETDATE()  FROM SampleTable1 A

INNER JOIN SampleTable2 B

ON A.ID_TOWN = B.ID_TOWN

• Seems like a nice comprosime... but I hope you don't have 120 columns on that table because that'd be a b**ch to code .

• "what are the disadvantages of using dynamic sql in stored procedure over your specified approach ( I really didn't get it properly) "

You are sacrificing the significant performance advantages of a stored proc, such as precompiled query execution plan.

Mike Hinds Lead Database Administrator1st Source BankMCP, MCTS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply