the other fix that was applied to this installation was the following :
Please see the below fix which was previously sucessfully applied to SQL 7.0
on NT 4.0:
SQLServer Agent hangs on starting:
When you start the server, Event Viewer records Event ID 7022,
SQLServerAgent service hung on starting"
To make sure the necessary services are present in the registry,
follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32 - not regedit)
2. Navigate to the following registry location
3. In the right hand pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click
on the value DependOnService
4. In the Multi-String Editor dialog box, add the service "NetBios"
on a seperate line and click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor and restart the computer
The server is win2k could this be a related problem ?
but the service was running ok after this fix was applied ...