Upgrading to 2012

• Our SAP core systems are running Windows 2003/SQL 2005 x64, all VM's on esxi 5.1 hosts. I want to migrate as much for the OS as for SQL. Having the ability to upgrade memory and processors on VM's without rebooting is not possible on Windows 2003 OS. This feature comes in handy when extra horsepower is temporarily needed in special situations. MIgrating is a pain and I don't want to do it again soon. So I plan to migrate both OS and SQL to Windows 2012/SQL 2012. I would rather go a little more pain on this migration than have to do it again soon.

• "Quite a few of the people I've talked to in the last couple years feel the same way."

It is the same thing here Steve. We stood up a dev/test version that three or four of us have used for Research and to see the new features but there is not a strong enough business driver for our type of processing to move us rapidly to 2012. Time will come, but is may not be too soon.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• We're still trying to get our customers to move from 2000 & 2005 to 2008R2 so we're a long way from having to look at 2012. I'm betting we'll miss it completely and maybe go to 2015/6 or whatever the next version is.

• 2008 R2 State Pensions Shop, considering 2012 for the SSRS upgrade... any comments appreciated.

• When are you planning to go live? If it is June or later then I would recommend using SQL2016 SSRS. You have to look very closely to see any differences between SQL2008R2, SQL2012 and SQL2014 SSRS, but there are a lot of new things in SQL2016 SSRS that you are likely to find useful.

You can start your evaluation and development using a SQL2016 CTP, and hold off going live until SQL2016 RTM, rumoured to be in May.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I have to agree here--I almost commented earlier to this effect. If SQL 2016 is an option, by all means go out of your way to embrace it.

• Our upgrade policy tends to be driven by Micorsoft's support cycle rather than new features.

(ie It is relatively easy to get money for an upgrade if we say the old system will no longer be supported.)

We managed to get rid of our last two SQL2005 instances last year when Windows 2003 went out support.

The bulk of our instances are now SQL2008R2 although we do have one SQL2012 production instance.

We might get a production SQL2014 instance this year but we will start moving our DBs off SQL2008R2 next year to give ourselves time before Windows 2008R2 and SQL2008R2 go out of support.

I suspect most of our DBs will end up in SQL2016.

• Thanks! It would be after June... Glad to hear the upgrade might be pretty straightforward ... since 2008 SSRS has a lot of odditys ...

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply