Upgrading from SQL Server 2000 Developer to Enterprise Version

• I'm still fairly new to SQL Server and am trying to use it an Oracle at the same time (which gets kind of confusing).  I currently have a developer version of SQL Server 2000 installed on my web app server, but there is a need for the enterprise version because of functionality that doesn't come with the developers version.

My first thought was to go ahead and install the Enterprise version, backup the developer databases and restore them into the Enterprise version, but I'm not sure that's going to work.  I can't seem to find any articles of how this is done.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

Penny 

• Backing up and retoring will work, as will detaching and attaching the databases.  Any article about migrating databases between instances of SQL 2000 will contain instructions for it. 

One suggestion: install Enterprise Edition on it's own server rather than on the web app server to take advantage of all it's features and get optimum performance. 

Greg

Greg

• I guess that it might not apply in this case but you should be aware that if you're using full text searching on any tables in a database and detatch it then you'll also lose the catalog which will need recreating from scratch when it's re-attached.

There is a workaround which i could send to anyone interested and i was planning on writing an article on it at some point.

• If you're only looking to upgrade the existing instance from Developer to Enterprise, you only need to put in the EE CD and run the setup. It will detect the existence of DE and perform the conversion for you (in place). You just need to reapply any patches/service packs you've put on above RTM when you're done.

• Thanks for this info.  By the way, I feel kind of stupid asking this, but what is RTM?

• RTM is usually referred to as "Release to Manufacturing".  It's the initial production release of a software product.

Greg

Greg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply