Upgrade SSRS 2008 to 2016

• Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction.
    In my current place of employment we have a very dated SSRS version, 2008 to be specific. I am planning a proposition to upgrade to 2016.
    We don't have SQL Server 2016 but I do have the option to spin up an Azure VM with SQL Server 2016.
    Has anyone gone through the same process?
    Also will all the current reports still be compatible with 2016 as I'm sure a few features have been scrapped since 2008.
    The company also does not have Office 365. Is this a requirement?
    If anyone can think of any requirements or pitfalls it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advanced.
    Daniel

• I've not used Azure, so my answer won't be 100% complete. I can, however, confirm that going from 2008 to 2016 shouldn't pose any problems. The reprots I have here were originally 2008 reports, and although we went to to 2012 and are now testing 2016, I didn't have any problems with the migration. Some of the reports have been completely unchanged between versions, so I can't see any major problems.

The best thing to do, unsurprisingly, is test, test, test 🙂

Can't think of any reason why Office 365 would also be requirement. I only have office 2010 here.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• if you don't want to go the Azure route but still want to try SQL Server 2016, you can get the Developer Edition for free with a Visual Studio Dev Essentials login which is also free:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/application-development

• Thom A - Monday, April 10, 2017 9:12 AM

I've not used Azure, so my answer won't be 100% complete. I can, however, confirm that going from 2008 to 2016 shouldn't pose any problems. The reprots I have here were originally 2008 reports, and although we went to to 2012 and are now testing 2016, I didn't have any problems with the migration. Some of the reports have been completely unchanged between versions, so I can't see any major problems.

The best thing to do, unsurprisingly, is test, test, test 🙂

Can't think of any reason why Office 365 would also be requirement. I only have office 2010 here.

Thanks for the quick reply Thom 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply