Upgrade

• Planning to upgrade from SQL Server 2008 SP1 to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3.
    The database on the server are not important. However, this server mainly used for running SSIS packages, Jobs and SSAS  Service.
    Doing in place upgrade would be the best option? If yes, then Uninstall  SQL Server 2008 SP1 and install SQL Server 2008 R2 on the server. Is there any better option you can advise?  

Thanks

• Not an aswer to your question, but I'm just curious. . . why are you upgrading from 2008 to 2008R2?  Both are out of mainstream support and both end extended support on the same date in July 2019.  If you're going to the effort of upgrading, why not upgrade to one that is still in support?

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Cadavre - Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:24 AM

Not an aswer to your question, but I'm just curious. . . why are you upgrading from 2008 to 2008R2?  Both are out of mainstream support and both end extended support on the same date in July 2019.  If you're going to the effort of upgrading, why not upgrade to one that is still in support?

They wouldn't be able to directly upgrade with SQL Server 2008 SP1 so would need to upgrade the existing version first to upgrade to 2012 or higher.

Sue

• I am looking to upgrade from SQL Server 2008 SP1 to SQL Server 2008 R2. So you mean there is no way to do inplace upgrade?

• Admingod - Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:30 AM

I am looking to upgrade from SQL Server 2008 SP1 to SQL Server 2008 R2. So you mean there is no way to do inplace upgrade?

No you're fine. I was replying to the question where they asked you "why don't you just upgrade to a supported version".
    On your current version, you can't upgrade to 2012 or higher without upgrading first. You would have to upgrade first to SQL Server 2008 SP2 or SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 to even upgrade to SQL Server 2012.
    You can uninstall and then install a higher version but it's usually better to install on a server that has been wiped clean or a new server.
    An in-place upgrade is where you leave everything as is on the server including the existing SQL Server 2008 SP1 and then use the media to upgrade - no uninstall and reinstall.

Sue

• Thank you. Ok, I would like to try leave everything as is on the server and then upgrade without uninstall option. If i do the upgrade this will not cause any issues to SSIS and SSAS on the server right? It will Just upgrade everything on the server right?  I am looking to upgrade with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3. So i should upgrade SQL Server 2008 R2 first then install SP3 on it right?

• Admingod - Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:03 AM

Thank you. Ok, I would like to try leave everything as is on the server and then upgrade without uninstall option. If i do the upgrade this will not cause any issues to SSIS and SSAS on the server right? It will Just upgrade everything on the server right?  I am looking to upgrade with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3. So i should upgrade SQL Server 2008 R2 first then install SP3 on it right?

You usually do have some issues in different areas when upgrading in place. It's often not recommended but you can do it. You need to be ready to do tweaking and reconfiguring to get everything in a decent state as there is no rollback if you do an upgrade in place.
    There are many considerations for upgrading all the different components. You can find links to each components (engine, ssas, ssis, etc) considerations for upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2 in this documentation - check the links at the end:
    Upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2

You install SQL Server 2008 R2 and then SP3. You can slipstream the installation but if you don't know what I mean by that or haven't done one, just do what you were planning with 2008R2 and then SP3.

Sue

• This is also a good article on the upgrades, migrations explaining the in-place issues and also discusses things you can do to minimize the risks. It's the first answer in this post:
    Are SQL Server in-place upgrades as ill advised as they used to be?

Sue

• Thanks  and appreciate Sue! However, the SQL server i am planing to upgrade does not have any important databases. This server is mainly used to host SSIS Packages, Jobs scheduling and then SSAS database. Do you think there is still a risk involved? Also, i was thinking about VM Snapshot and if something goes wrong go back to previous snapshot. What do you think?

• Admingod - Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:56 AM

Thanks  and appreciate Sue! However, the SQL server i am planing to upgrade does not have any important databases. This server is mainly used to host SSIS Packages, Jobs scheduling and then SSAS database. Do you think there is still a risk involved? Also, i was thinking about VM Snapshot and if something goes wrong go back to previous snapshot. What do you think?

The risks are still there even when it's not critical databases so you would still want a backup plan if something with the upgrade goes bad. You still have things in the databases to support the jobs and such.
    A snapshot of the machine should work. You need to make sure the disk space is there to support taking a snapshot before starting the upgrade. And you hopefully have a way to test this before actually doing things. Make sure to work with whoever manages the Virtual environment and work with them so things go as smoothly as possible.

Sue

• Thanks sue. Do you know 2008 R2 SP3 is the latest service pack right? There is no SQL Server 2008 R2 SP4 right?

• Admingod - Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:43 PM

Thanks sue. Do you know 2008 R2 SP3 is the latest service pack right? There is no SQL Server 2008 R2 SP4 right?

Yes, that's correct. The link to download it and current service packs for other versions is in this article:
    Update Center for Microsoft SQL Server

Sue

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply