Update with CASE statement

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Update with CASE statement

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• As it stands, the question is poorly phrased. Even if one part of the solution is clearly false, the boolean 'OR' operation makes the statement true if the other part is true - "True or False ... 1=1 OR 1=0?" - which rather detracts from a clever example of using the CASE statement to update the column based on its current value.

The question that follows, what would the 'FALSE' answer look like - updates the data unsuccessfully (?) OR fails, and doesn't throw an error?

• For me the question was simple, clear and very basic. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• zerko (2/18/2013)

As it stands, the question is poorly phrased. Even if one part of the solution is clearly false, the boolean 'OR' operation makes the statement true if the other part is true - "True or False ... 1=1 OR 1=0?" - which rather detracts from a clever example of using the CASE statement to update the column based on its current value.

The question that follows, what would the 'FALSE' answer look like - updates the data unsuccessfully (?) OR fails, and doesn't throw an error?

I thougth OR here is english , not logical or .. and the caps were used for emphasis ..but, that what I thought..

update woudl happen ๐Ÿ˜€

~ demonfox

• simple basic question for the day...

• Seriously?.

• Good Question. Again come to know some basic.

keep it up.

Thanks

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• Spent 10 minutes looking for the catch, only to realize there wasn't one.

Thanks for the question.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• demonfox (2/18/2013)

zerko (2/18/2013)

As it stands, the question is poorly phrased. Even if one part of the solution is clearly false, the boolean 'OR' operation makes the statement true if the other part is true - "True or False ... 1=1 OR 1=0?" - which rather detracts from a clever example of using the CASE statement to update the column based on its current value.

I thougth OR here is english , not logical or .. and the caps were used for emphasis ..but, that what I thought..

update woudl happen ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you zerko and demonfox for the comments as demonfox stated it is completely correct and I did not realize this until now, yes it is not logical, will try to do much better in my next qtod.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• The update may fails with error, if the default collation is case sensitive.

UPDATE GenderUpdate

SET Gender = CASE WHEN GENDER = 'M' then 'F' ELSE 'M' END

• I like the question. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Chris Bรผttner

• Not confessing to be the best a writing English, personally I use far to many abbreviated/ slang and shortened words (probably due to my age and/or regional location) but this is very poor English. ๐Ÿ˜›

However I went with true though as the statement would work if ran. :w00t:

Regards
    ld

Stoke-on-Trent
    United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (2/19/2013)

The intent of the question is good, but the English language syntax used here had me scratching my head for a bit.

<Rant>

True or false requires a statement against which a judgement call must be made, e.g. the SQL command given in the snippet will update the column correctly. True or False

Or, as a question per sรช: will the SQL command given in the snippet succeed or fail?

</Rant>

Don't let this discourage you from posting more questions, though. The thought process required always helps clear out cobwebs in preparation for the day.

True - the one thing I have found is making your intent clear, without any assumptions - after all you know what you mean - you wrote it. From my experience this can be difficult enough for native English speakers - let alone in a language that is not your native tongue.

Nice question - thanks

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. โ€• Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• A straight forward question..

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply