Update with CASE statement

• Raghavendra Mudugal

SSChampion

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Update with CASE statement

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• zerko

SSCommitted

As it stands, the question is poorly phrased. Even if one part of the solution is clearly false, the boolean 'OR' operation makes the statement true if the other part is true - "True or False ... 1=1 OR 1=0?" - which rather detracts from a clever example of using the CASE statement to update the column based on its current value.

The question that follows, what would the 'FALSE' answer look like - updates the data unsuccessfully (?) OR fails, and doesn't throw an error?

• Lokesh Vij

SSChampion

For me the question was simple, clear and very basic. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• demonfox

SSCertifiable

zerko (2/18/2013)

As it stands, the question is poorly phrased. Even if one part of the solution is clearly false, the boolean 'OR' operation makes the statement true if the other part is true - "True or False ... 1=1 OR 1=0?" - which rather detracts from a clever example of using the CASE statement to update the column based on its current value.

The question that follows, what would the 'FALSE' answer look like - updates the data unsuccessfully (?) OR fails, and doesn't throw an error?

I thougth OR here is english , not logical or .. and the caps were used for emphasis ..but, that what I thought..

update woudl happen ๐Ÿ˜€

~ demonfox

• kapil_kk

SSC-Insane

simple basic question for the day...

• baabhu

SSCertifiable

Seriously?.

• Danny Ocean

SSCertifiable

Good Question. Again come to know some basic.

keep it up.

Thanks

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• Koen Verbeeck

SSC Guru

Spent 10 minutes looking for the catch, only to realize there wasn't one.

Thanks for the question.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Raghavendra Mudugal

SSChampion

demonfox (2/18/2013)

zerko (2/18/2013)

I thougth OR here is english , not logical or .. and the caps were used for emphasis ..but, that what I thought..

update woudl happen ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you zerko and demonfox for the comments as demonfox stated it is completely correct and I did not realize this until now, yes it is not logical, will try to do much better in my next qtod.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Carlo Romagnano

SSC-Insane

The update may fails with error, if the default collation is case sensitive.

UPDATE GenderUpdate

SET Gender = CASE WHEN GENDER = 'M' then 'F' ELSE 'M' END

• Christian Buettner-167247

SSChampion

I like the question. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Chris Bรผttner

• ldorian81

SSCommitted

Not confessing to be the best a writing English, personally I use far to many abbreviated/ slang and shortened words (probably due to my age and/or regional location) but this is very poor English. ๐Ÿ˜›

However I went with true though as the statement would work if ran. :w00t:

Regards
    ld

Stoke-on-Trent
    United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Stuart Davies

SSCoach

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (2/19/2013)

The intent of the question is good, but the English language syntax used here had me scratching my head for a bit.

<Rant>

True or false requires a statement against which a judgement call must be made, e.g. the SQL command given in the snippet will update the column correctly. True or False

Or, as a question per sรช: will the SQL command given in the snippet succeed or fail?

</Rant>

Don't let this discourage you from posting more questions, though. The thought process required always helps clear out cobwebs in preparation for the day.

True - the one thing I have found is making your intent clear, without any assumptions - after all you know what you mean - you wrote it. From my experience this can be difficult enough for native English speakers - let alone in a language that is not your native tongue.

Nice question - thanks

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a questionThere are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. โ€• Carl Sagan I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Dineshbabu

Hall of Fame

A straight forward question..

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply