Update with CASE statement

• nice question.... query will execute successfully..

but Objective: Update all the M's to F and all F's to M. will not work...

Manik
    You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.

• manik123 (2/19/2013)

nice question.... query will execute successfully..

How so?

• Koen Verbeeck (2/18/2013)

Spent 10 minutes looking for the catch, only to realize there wasn't one.

Thanks for the question.

I spent another 2-3 re-reading the phrase because it reads very oddly written as above, but I was able to puzzle it out.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• A 'confusingly' straightforward question 😉

• sestell1 (2/19/2013)

Andrew Diniz (2/19/2013)

Carlo Romagnano (2/19/2013)

The update may fails with error, if the default collation is case sensitive.

UPDATE GenderUpdate

SET Gender = CASE WHEN GENDER = 'M' then 'F' ELSE 'M' END

Carlo's onto something. If the database does not have a CI collation the statement will fail with something like:

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid column name 'GENDER'.

Since the database collation in the scenario is unknown, adoption of 3-valued logic would dictate a QotD point be awarded to all those who click 'submit' without selecting either True or False. 😉

Good point, although technically (due to the wording of the question) the answer would still be true. 😉

Actually no, the update wouldn't fail as the batch would be aborted on the previous statement (which would fail) so that the update would never be attempted - so the wording of the question wouldn't cover that case.

Tom

• jdamm (2/19/2013)

Vel.Velez (2/19/2013)

In SQL Server 2005, wouldn't this FAIL?

--#2 Data

INSERT INTO GenderUpdate (Gender)

VALUES ('M'), ('M'),('M'),('M'),('M'),('M'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F'),('F')

If so, #4 would not get to execute?

Correct - checking my results, my default instance is SQL 2005, and this line failed. Went over to the SQL 2008 R2 and no issues.

J

But SQL 2005 is no longer in mainstream support; unless a QotD specifies differently, only releases still in mainstream support should be considered; and this one doesn't specify that SQL 2005 is applicable, so it isn't.

Tom

• jdamm (2/19/2013)

I enjoyed the question. Keep up the work in writing them (I can never seem to come up with a good question idea myself...)

As for writing the question, I would have moved the select to the end, then asked "What is the output of Select Statement?"

with options:

a) F 10

M 6

b) F 6

M 10

c) F 10

d) M 10

J

Surely no one could fall for C or D? An update statement that deletes 6 rows? Or did you mean 16 instead of 10?

Tom

• manik123 (2/19/2013)

nice question.... query will execute successfully..

You must have a very broken version of SQL Server if it doesn't work for you.

Tom

• +1

Easy.

• True or False: If a train leave Detroit going east at 40 MPH and a truck leaves Bosie Idaho going west three hours earlier at random speeds which will get to Peru first?

Possible answers:

A. Third Base

B. Paris

C. 2:00 GMT

D. All the above

Actual Answer: 38

🙂

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• What has happened to the venerable CASE expression? I am surprised no one has mentioned it thus far but there is no such thing as a CASE statement in SQL Server. In my estimation the entry as a QotD could have been disqualified on that point alone.

CASE (Transact-SQL)

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Miles Neale (2/19/2013)

True or False: If a train leave Detroit going east at 40 MPH and a truck leaves Bosie Idaho going west three hours earlier at random speeds which will get to Peru first?

Possible answers:

A. Third Base

B. Paris

C. 2:00 GMT

D. All the above

Actual Answer: 38

🙂

LOL That takes me back! Uh oh...isn't it "Boise," rather than "Bosie," or is there actually a Bosie, Idanno? Maybe Bosie is the next MS SQL release... 😉

Appreciate the good topic - thanks.

• Thanks for the easy question!

• I answered the wrong question.:crying: "Objective: Update all the M's to F and all F's to M. " and the result of statement 4 will not be that objective. And as the question was phrased so confusingly I thought perhaps it meant did it succeed in meeting its objective. Clearly not, but then perhaps I ought to read questions more carefully!

Tony

• Tony Bater (2/22/2013)the result of statement 4 will not be that objective.

Why not?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply