Update SQL with excel files?

• Thom A - Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:49 AM

stino - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:09 AM

The name is the id, there are just only 2 records in each xls file just to try it and every name is unique

You say every name is unique, but (and I don't want to scupper your master plan), but they aren't. I spent my entire teenage years being confused with someone else with the same name and birthdate, my dentist used to have to check my teeth and then work out which one I was from the records.. Names are not a unique identifier, and if you end up with two employees of the same name, that's going to cause you problems.

Your end file has 1,500 employees in it. I, personally, would say it has a pretty decent chance of having two people with the same name, or will if you get any new employees.

That's a great reminder.  When I worked for a decent sized company (3000 employees) in Rhode Island, there were a dozen or so people who had the same name of "Manuel Costa" and 4 of those had the same middle initial.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:42 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:49 AM

stino - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:09 AM

The name is the id, there are just only 2 records in each xls file just to try it and every name is unique

You say every name is unique, but (and I don't want to scupper your master plan), but they aren't. I spent my entire teenage years being confused with someone else with the same name and birthdate, my dentist used to have to check my teeth and then work out which one I was from the records.. Names are not a unique identifier, and if you end up with two employees of the same name, that's going to cause you problems.

Your end file has 1,500 employees in it. I, personally, would say it has a pretty decent chance of having two people with the same name, or will if you get any new employees.

That's a great reminder.  When I worked for a decent sized company (3000 employees) in Rhode Island, there were a dozen or so people who had the same name of "Manuel Costa" and 4 of those had the same middle initial.

It is. Fortunately the dentist has since "evolved" to hold their client details in a paperless environment, and contain other relevant details like, Postcode, house number, on the same screen, instead of a piece of paper with just your name and DOB, and a green screen with characters ([ ][X][O]) representing your teeth. 😀

Don't get me started on how many Mohammed Ahmed's there were when I worked at Arcadia.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply