Update row with substring from another row.

• Hi! in this edition of noob-weekly-problem (:-D) i need to know how can i update a row with substring from another row.

example;

row1 row2

aaaaassssssss null

aaaaasssssss1 null

aaaaasssssss2 null

I want to update data in row2 taking everything from the first 's' to the right

How can i do this ??

thanks in advance.

• Please show us what the expected results will be. A word description is okay, but some of us are more visual than others.

• igngua (10/5/2009)

Hi! in this edition of noob-weekly-problem (:-D) i need to know how can i update a row with substring from another row.

example;

row1 row2

aaaaassssssss null

aaaaasssssss1 null

aaaaasssssss2 null

How can i do this ??

thanks in advance.

UPDATE t SET

t.row2 = SUBSTRING(t.row1, CHARINDEX('s', t.row1), LEN(t.row1))

FROM dbo.table t

WHERE <condition if applicable>

Even though you're saying "rowXX", what I *think* you're trying to do is set one column equal to a value computed from another column in the same row.

Pro Tip: First, put the computed value into a SELECT statement (comment out my UPDATE statement and replace it with a SELECT and eliminate the assignment operators) to see what effect this will have on your data BEFORE committing the update ๐Ÿ˜‰

MJM

• Lynn Pettis (10/5/2009)

Please show us what the expected results will be. A word description is okay, but some of us are more visual than others.

ok.

the output:

row1----------- row2

aaaaassssssss ssssssss

aaaaasssssss1 sssssss1

aaaaasssssss2 sssssss2

• Mark Marinovic (10/5/2009)

igngua (10/5/2009)

Hi! in this edition of noob-weekly-problem (:-D) i need to know how can i update a row with substring from another row.

example;

row1 row2

aaaaassssssss null

aaaaasssssss1 null

aaaaasssssss2 null

How can i do this ??

thanks in advance.

UPDATE t SET

t.row2 = SUBSTRING(t.row1, CHARINDEX('s', t.row1), LEN(t.row1))

FROM dbo.table t

WHERE <condition if applicable>

Even though you're saying "rowXX", what I *think* you're trying to do is set one column equal to a value computed from another column in the same row.

Pro Tip: First, put the computed value into a SELECT statement (comment out my UPDATE statement and replace it with a SELECT and eliminate the assignment operators) to see what effect this will have on your data BEFORE committing the update ๐Ÿ˜‰

MJM

thanks iยดm going to try it.

about the pro tip; i always do that, ๐Ÿ˜€

• Then you'll like this pro tip... what you are apparently calling rows are really columns.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/5/2009)

Then you'll like this pro tip... what you are apparently calling rows are really columns.

my bad!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply