update by quantity

• I'm writing an update statement that uses a quantity column to determine how many rows get updated.  I can accomplish this using RBAR, but performance is unusable and I can't figure out how to do this as a set operation.

I have a sales table that contains a row for each individual item.  In the script there are two sales,'abc' and 'def'.  They include items '123' quantity 5, '456' quantity 3 and '789' quantity 3, which is a total of 11 rows in the table.

Some items are shipped at the time of sale and others are shipped as they become available. This data arrives in the sale_order table in the form of an itemID , quantity and ship_date.

My goal is to get the ship_date from the order table and apply it to the original sale the number of times in the quantity column.  sale_code 'abc' has two orders for item 123, one with quantity 1 and the other with 3.  The sale should have 3 rows updated with ship_date 3/3/2020 and 1 row with 3/2/2020.  Row order for the item does not matter.

The script below give a short sample data set.  I included a sale_result table that shows what the result should look like, which probably better explains what I'm trying to accomplish than my description.

/*
    drop table dbo.sale_order
    drop table dbo.sale
    drop table dbo.sale_result
    */

create table dbo.sale_order
    (
    id int identity primary key
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,quantity int
    ,ship_date datetime
    )
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[sale_order] ([item_id],[sale_code],quantity,ship_date) VALUES (123,'ABC' ,1 ,'3/2/2020')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[sale_order] ([item_id],[sale_code],quantity,ship_date) VALUES (123,'ABC' ,3 ,'3/3/2020')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[sale_order] ([item_id],[sale_code],quantity,ship_date) VALUES (456,'DEF' ,3 ,'2/4/2020')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[sale_order] ([item_id],[sale_code],quantity,ship_date) VALUES (789,'DEF' ,2 ,'2/5/2020')

create table dbo.sale
    (
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,ship_date datetime
    )
    insert into dbo.sale ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(123,'ABC','3/1/2020') --one item delivered at time of sale
    insert into dbo.sale ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(123,'ABC',NULL)

insert into dbo.sale ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(456,'DEF',NULL)

insert into dbo.sale ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(789,'DEF',NULL)

create table dbo.sale_result
    (
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,ship_date datetime
    )
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(123,'ABC','3/1/2020')
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(123,'ABC','3/2/2020')
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(123,'ABC','3/3/2020')
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(123,'ABC','3/3/2020')

insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(456,'DEF','2/4/2020')
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(456,'DEF','2/4/2020')

insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(789,'DEF','2/5/2020')
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(789,'DEF','2/5/2020')
    insert into dbo.sale_result ([item_id],[sale_code],[ship_date]) values(789,'DEF',NULL)

select * from dbo.sale
    select * from dbo.sale_result
    select * from dbo.sale_order

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  askcoffman. Reason: Added sale_result table to compare as suggested
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  askcoffman.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • I have an idea, instead of posting a png file showing the results, that just happens to be too small and fuzzy for me to read, try this instead.

Create a table, perhaps named ExpectedResults, insert into the table the desired results that you are expecting.  This accomplishes two things: one, it shows us what you are expecting, two it gives us something to test against.

• Thanks for suggestion.  I've edited the script and added a result table.

• Or just use a testing framework and write a test: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/using-tsqlt-tests-to-practice-queries

• Just to clarify, presumably this is for an OLTP system? If so, wouldn't this be a parameterised update, run from a proc?

Eg

Exec update_Sale @Item_Id, @Sale_Code

?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• The way this is set up isn't straightforward because there's no way to join to the duplicated rows in sale WHERE ship_date is null.  I re-jiggered the script to not insert those rows.  The results table is populated with 2 inserts: 1) sale table, and 2) sale_order table cross applied to a tally table.  The sale table isn't needed as a "work" table.

drop table if exists #sale_order;
    drop table if exists #sale;
    drop table if exists #sale_result;
    go

create table #sale_order(
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,quantity int
    ,ship_date datetime);
    go

insert #sale_order(item_id,sale_code,quantity,ship_date) values
    (123,'ABC' ,1 ,'3/2/2020'),
    (123,'ABC' ,3 ,'3/3/2020'),
    (456,'DEF' ,3 ,'2/4/2020'),
    (789,'DEF' ,2 ,'2/5/2020');

create table #sale(
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,ship_date datetime);
    go

insert #sale(item_id,sale_code,ship_date) values
    (123,'ABC','3/1/2020'); --one item delivered at time of sale

create table #sale_result(
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,ship_date datetime);
    go

insert #sale_result(item_id,sale_code,ship_date)
    select item_id, sale_code, ship_date from #sale
    union all
    select
    so.item_id, so.sale_code, so.ship_date
    from
    #sale_order so
    cross apply
    dbo.tally(so.quantity) t;

select * from #sale;
    select * from #sale_result;
    select * from #sale_order;

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• This is for a data warehouse so it would be a batch process. Millions of orders to build it initially and then 100k daily.

• Just out of interest, can you explain how you intend to use the Sale table in the DW?

This feels like an excessive amount of de-normalisation to me.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Responding to the solution by scdecade, the null values in the sale table must be populated before the sale_order records can be applied.

• Is it correct: rows with NULL ship_date in the 'sale' table are created before the corresponding ship_date in the sale_order table?  Units always ship in the quantity ordered?

• You're correct on the denormalization. The goal is to simplify incoming oltp data by giving the ability to update the status of a particular item (backordered, shipped, delivered, event1, event2 and so on) rather than having to break out part of the quantity to a new row. If multiple items are on one row with a quantity, then an update to any status will result in a new row. After the full life cycle, you end up with about the same amount of rows but with more processing power required and probably more storage.

• Yes, null ship_date arrives in the sale table before sale_order occurs.

• Why not update the 'sale' table directly?  Do the 'sale' table and 'sale_result' table always have the same # of rows?  If so, could this be implemented by making 'sale' a temporal table?

• Not sure what you mean by "directly", I think that's what I'm asking for.

The sale_result table is only to show you what the sale table would like if the orders were applied to it correctly.  It is not part of the database model.

• drop table if exists #sale_order;
    drop table if exists #sale;
    drop table if exists #sale_result;
    go

create table #sale_order(
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,quantity int
    ,ship_date datetime);
    go

insert #sale_order(item_id,sale_code,quantity,ship_date) values
    (123,'ABC' ,1 ,'3/2/2020'),
    (123,'ABC' ,3 ,'3/3/2020'),
    (456,'DEF' ,3 ,'2/4/2020'),
    (789,'DEF' ,2 ,'2/5/2020');

create table #sale(
    ,item_id int
    ,sale_code varchar(36)
    ,ship_date datetime);
    go

insert #sale(item_id, sale_code,ship_date) values
    (123,'ABC','3/1/2020'), --one item delivered at time of sale
    (123,'ABC',NULL),
    (123,'ABC',NULL),
    (123,'ABC',NULL),
    (123,'ABC',NULL),
    (456,'DEF',NULL),
    (456,'DEF',NULL),
    (456,'DEF',NULL),
    (789,'DEF',NULL),
    (789,'DEF',NULL),
    (789,'DEF',NULL);

declare
    @id int=2;

with s_cte(id, ship_date) as (
    select top(select quantity from #sale_order where id=@id)
    s.id, so.ship_date
    from
    #sale s
    join
    #sale_order so on s.item_id=so.item_id
    and s.sale_code=so.sale_code
    and so.id=@id
    where
    s.ship_date is null)
    update s
    set
    ship_date=sc.ship_date
    from
    #sale s
    join
    s_cte sc on s.id=sc.id;

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply