Understanding the use of a CTE with MERGE

• I'm familiar with CTE's which I have used a lot and I am somewhat familiar with the MERGE statement but I've never worked with these 2 together and now that we have recently (finally) upgraded to more recent builds of SQL Server I'm looking at something I need some help understanding.

With the understanding that #TRANSDETAIL_TEMP is a temp table created and populated with data does the below statement result in the table TRANSDETAIL being updated/inserted/deleted via the common table expression named TRANSDETAIL_CTE?  Thats what it looks like to me but I've never seen a MERGE statement use a CTE as an alias (that may not be the correct term) for the table that you want to be the TARGET of the update/merge/delete.

WITH TRANSDETAIL_CTE (  Property  , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount  , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes   )  
    AS ( SELECT Property , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes
    FROM TRANSDETAIL
    WHERE 1 = 1
    AND Property = 378
    and FinMonth >= convert(datetime, '06/01/2019', 101)
    )

MERGE TRANSDETAIL_CTE AS TARGET USING
    ( SELECT Property , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes
    FROM #TRANSDETAIL_TEMP
    WHERE Property = 378
    AND FinMonth >= convert(datetime, '06/01/2019', 101)
    ) AS SOURCE

ON ( TARGET.Property = SOURCE.Property
    AND TARGET.Account = SOURCE.Account
    AND TARGET.Book = SOURCE.Book
    AND TARGET.FinMonth = SOURCE.FinMonth
    AND TARGET.TranID = SOURCE.TranID
    AND IsNull(target.TranDetailID, 0) = IsNull(SOURCE.TranDetailID , 0)
    AND TARGET.TranAmount = SOURCE.TranAmount
    AND IsNull(target.TranNotes,'') = IsNull(SOURCE.TranNotes,'')
    )
    WHEN MATCHED THEN UPDATE SET TARGET.TranDate = SOURCE.TranDate,
    TARGET.TranType = SOURCE.TranType,
    TARGET.TranPerson = SOURCE.TranPerson,
    TARGET.TranNumId = SOURCE.TranNumId,
    TARGET.TranReference = SOURCE.TranReference,
    TARGET.TranNotes = SOURCE.TranNotes

WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN INSERT ( Property , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes )
    VALUES ( SOURCE.Property, SOURCE.Account, SOURCE.Book, SOURCE.FinMonth, SOURCE.TranDate, SOURCE.TranType, SOURCE.TranID, SOURCE.TranDetailID, SOURCE.TranPerson, SOURCE.TranAmount, SOURCE.TranNumId , SOURCE.TranReference, SOURCE.TranNotes )

WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE THEN DELETE;
    go

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Your code will be inserting, updating and deleting the results from the CTE, but it then doesn't do anything with the results of the CTE, not even selecting from it.  Not sure what the purpose of this SQL is.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• I'm just as puzzled by this as well but the only code I did not include was the creation of the #TRANSDETAIL_TEMP temp table and the 100 plus inserts into it as I felt those weren't relevant to the question about the merge with a CTE.  So based on the code here which I captured using Profiler I thought that maybe the CTE was an alias for the table TRANSDETAIL and so any changes made to the CTE would effectively be made to the TRANSDETAIL table but it sounds like your saying that is not whats happening.  Could it be that there may be more code after what I've listed here that just sin;t captured by PROFILERS SQL:STMNT and SQL:BATCH events?

What I do know is that by the end of the process I was tracing the end should be that some rows of data in the TRANSDETAIL are changed either via update or replacement (DELETE followed by INSERT) .  In past iterations of the software (what I'm tracing) the TRANSDETAIL table would have a DELETE FROM based on some condition followed by INSERT FROM #TRANSDETAIL_TEMP.  This recent update is the first time I've seen the use of MERGE.  Knowing that and what I have so far can you see one or more addiotnal commands (I didn't get in Profiler) that would result in the same changes being pushed to the TRANSDETAIL table that were made to the CTE?

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Don't really need to know how or what built the #TRANSDETAIL_TEMP table.

The CTE of TRANSDETAIL_CTE is some what like a temp table of the results from that SQL.

Then you are doing a merge essentially on a temp table.  It will not affect the TRANSDETAIL table.  And what is in the TRANSDETAIL_CTE will be lost after the ';'.

• To me this is what the code is doing, modified just to make it easier to understand:

/*WITH TRANSDETAIL_CTE (Property  , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount  , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes   )  
    AS (*/
    SELECT Property , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes
    INTO #TRANSDETAIL_CTE
    FROM TRANSDETAIL
    WHERE 1 = 1
    AND Property = 378
    and FinMonth >= convert(datetime, '06/01/2019', 101)
    --)
    ;

MERGE #TRANSDETAIL_CTE AS TARGET USING
    ( SELECT Property , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes
    FROM #TRANSDETAIL_TEMP
    WHERE Property = 378
    AND FinMonth >= convert(datetime, '06/01/2019', 101)
    ) AS SOURCE

ON ( TARGET.Property = SOURCE.Property
    AND TARGET.Account = SOURCE.Account
    AND TARGET.Book = SOURCE.Book
    AND TARGET.FinMonth = SOURCE.FinMonth
    AND TARGET.TranID = SOURCE.TranID
    AND IsNull(target.TranDetailID, 0) = IsNull(SOURCE.TranDetailID , 0)
    AND TARGET.TranAmount = SOURCE.TranAmount
    AND IsNull(target.TranNotes,'') = IsNull(SOURCE.TranNotes,'')
    )
    WHEN MATCHED THEN UPDATE SET TARGET.TranDate = SOURCE.TranDate,
    TARGET.TranType = SOURCE.TranType,
    TARGET.TranPerson = SOURCE.TranPerson,
    TARGET.TranNumId = SOURCE.TranNumId,
    TARGET.TranReference = SOURCE.TranReference,
    TARGET.TranNotes = SOURCE.TranNotes

WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN INSERT ( Property , Account , Book , FinMonth , TranDate , TranType , TranID , TranDetailID , TranPerson , TranAmount , TranNumId , TranReference , TranNotes )
    VALUES ( SOURCE.Property, SOURCE.Account, SOURCE.Book, SOURCE.FinMonth, SOURCE.TranDate, SOURCE.TranType, SOURCE.TranID, SOURCE.TranDetailID, SOURCE.TranPerson, SOURCE.TranAmount, SOURCE.TranNumId , SOURCE.TranReference, SOURCE.TranNotes )

DROP TABLE #TRANSDETAIL_CTE;

• If you want to MERGE into table TRANSDETAIL, then that would be the TARGET.

Is the CTE meant to be the source of data that your MERGE is using?  Then it would appear somewhere inside the USING clause.

If your temp table is the source of data for your MERGE, you don't need the CTE.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  GaryV.
  • GaryV wrote:

If your temp table is the source of data for your MERGE, you don't need the CTE. 

You would if you only wanted to affect a subset of TRANSDETAIL

Otherwise the 'NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE' would delete ALL non matching data

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• I haven't used the MERGE statement since I got burned many years ago doing a

WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE THEN DELETE

As it turns out, you end up deleting records that you were not expecting to delete.  The solution was to use a CTE as the source, which limited the records that could be deleted.

• DesNorton wrote:

I haven't used the MERGE statement since I got burned many years ago doing a

As it turns out, you end up deleting records that you were not expecting to delete.  The solution was to use a CTE as the source, which limited the records that could be deleted.

I've never been burned by MERGE because I don't use it.  There was so much bad press about it not working correctly that I just kept writing the normal UPSERT type of code (Separate Insert, Update, and Delete) statements.  I don't know that I'll ever trust merge.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• So here is a quick sample of how the DELETE can have unexpected results.

First, the data to work with

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#DestTable', N'U') IS NOT NULL
    BEGIN
    DROP TABLE #DestTable;
    END;
    GO
    CREATE TABLE #DestTable (
    CustID int NOT NULL
    , InvDate date NOT NULL
    , InvTotal decimal(18,2) NOT NULL
    , PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (CustID, InvDate)
    );
    GO

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#SourceTable', N'U') IS NOT NULL
    BEGIN
    DROP TABLE #SourceTable;
    END;
    GO
    CREATE TABLE #SourceTable (
    CustID int NOT NULL
    , InvDate date NOT NULL
    , InvTotal decimal(18,2) NOT NULL
    , PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (CustID, InvDate)
    );
    GO

INSERT INTO #DestTable ( CustID, InvDate, InvTotal )
    VALUES ( 10, '2019-02-25', 850.00 )
    , ( 11, '2019-02-25', 420.00 )
    , ( 11, '2019-03-25', 370.00 )
    , ( 12, '2019-02-25', 650.00 )
    , ( 12, '2019-03-25', 950.00 );
    GO

INSERT INTO #SourceTable ( CustID, InvDate, InvTotal )
    VALUES ( 10, '2019-03-25', 870.00 )
    , ( 11, '2019-03-25', 450.00 );
    GO

Now, lets do an UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE

-- We want to upsert the March values
    MERGE INTO #DestTable AS Tgt
    USING #SourceTable AS Src
    ON Tgt.CustID = Src.CustID
    AND Tgt.InvDate = Src.InvDate

WHEN MATCHED THEN -- UPDATE the Target -- Expect to UPDATE CustID=11 InvTotal from 370.00 to 450.00
    UPDATE SET Tgt.InvTotal = Src.InvTotal

WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN -- INSERT into the Target -- Expect to INSERT CustID=10 InvTotal = 870
    INSERT ( CustID, InvDate, InvTotal )
    VALUES ( Src.CustID, Src.InvDate, Src.InvTotal )

WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE THEN -- DELETE from the Target -- Expect to DELETE CustID=12 WHERE InvDate = '2019-03-25'
    DELETE;

So, what are the results?

SELECT *
    FROM #DestTable;
    CustID | InvDate    | InvTotal
    10 | 2019-03-25 | 870.00
    11 | 2019-03-25 | 450.00

WELL, that didn't go as planned.

Repopulate the #Tables, and  replace #DestTable with a CTE that filters #DestTable to only return March data.

-- We want to upsert the March values
    WITH cteMarchValues AS (
    SELECT d.*
    FROM #DestTable AS d
    WHERE d.InvDate = '2019-03-25'
    )
    MERGE INTO cteMarchValues AS Tgt
    USING #SourceTable AS Src
    ON Tgt.CustID = Src.CustID
    AND Tgt.InvDate = Src.InvDate

WHEN MATCHED THEN -- UPDATE the Target -- Expect to UPDATE CustID=11 InvTotal from 370.00 to 450.00
    UPDATE SET Tgt.InvTotal = Src.InvTotal

WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN -- INSERT into the Target -- Expect to INSERT CustID=10 InvTotal = 870
    INSERT ( CustID, InvDate, InvTotal )
    VALUES ( Src.CustID, Src.InvDate, Src.InvTotal )

WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE THEN -- DELETE from the Target -- Expect to DELETE CustID=12 WHERE InvDate = '2019-03-25'
    DELETE;

Now we get the expected results

SELECT *
    FROM #DestTable;
    CustID | InvDate    | InvTotal
    10 | 2019-02-25 | 850.00
    10 | 2019-03-25 | 870.00
    11 | 2019-02-25 | 420.00
    11 | 2019-03-25 | 450.00
    12 | 2019-02-25 | 650.00

• Jeff Moden wrote:

DesNorton wrote:

I haven't used the MERGE statement since I got burned many years ago doing a

I've never been burned by MERGE because I don't use it.  There was so much bad press about it not working correctly that I just kept writing the normal UPSERT type of code (Separate Insert, Update, and Delete) statements.  I don't know that I'll ever trust merge.

I'm trusting the MERGE, so far no issues, but I sure wouldn't use the DELETE part, I only insert or update.

• Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to share your thoughts on this. To be clear this code is not something I have any control over, its coming from the software accounting app we use.  I'm just trying to understand what its trying to do because I've never seen a a MERGE statement use a CTE as an alias for the table that you want to be the TARGET of the update/merge/delete.  I haven't tested this code to verify it actually is making any changes I just assume it is.   Based on the action you take in the application that calls this code its supposed to rebuild (recalculate and update) the values in the table TRANSDETAIL .

I know this is an old post now but in case any of you are still monitoring, if I read all your replies correctly then the code as shown is not doing anything with the data in the table TRANSDETAIL , is that correct?

I could test this by editing the values in the TRANSDETAIL table and executing the same function in the app that called this MERGE statement last time and see what the data in the TRANSDETAIL  table is like afterward.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • below86 is wrong about how the CTE works.  A CTE is not a temp table, but rather a temp view, and (just like a view) you can update the underlying table under certain conditions.  Here is a simple demo below.

DECLARE @Test TABLE (val TINYINT);

INSERT @Test (val)
    VALUES(1), (2), (3), (4), (5);

WITH CTE AS
    (
    SELECT val
    FROM @Test AS t
    WHERE t.val < 4
    )
    MERGE CTE AS tgt
    USING ( VALUES(1, 10), (2, 20), (3, 15), (4, 12) ) src(val, multiplier)
    ON tgt.val = src.val
    WHEN MATCHED THEN UPDATE SET tgt.val *= src.multiplier

SELECT t.val
    FROM @Test AS t

Note that the 4 is not updated even though it's in the source, because it's filtered out by the CTE, and that 5 is not deleted even though it doesn't match the source, because it is also filtered out by the CTE.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Well, there is no way in hell I would have thought this would have updated the table.  But Drew proved me wrong, well done sir.  Learned something new today.  Still wouldn't use the DELETE with the MERGE.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply