Unable to open .dtsx file in Design View

• I saved an SSIS package and next day went to open it in Visual Studio but my .dtsx file only opens with what appears to be XML markup. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  DaveBriCam.
  • Is the package part of an SSIS project? It needs to be. Open the project in SSDT and then open the package.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I have SSDT open but I don't know from there what to open. I see a solution .sln file but when I open it here's what I see: Capture

• Try right-clicking on the Payroll.dtsx package. You should see the option 'View Designer' – select that.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Right clicking does not give me an option of View Designer

• DaveBriCam wrote:

Right clicking does not give me an option of View Designer

Which version of VS are you using?

Did you install the SSIS extensions after installing SSDT? Take a look here for 2019.

• Visual Studio 17 Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2017 SSDT Version 15.9.30

I don't remember installing any extensions, but I may have, all I know is it was working fine for building a rather involved package that was working well, and suddenly I can't do anything with the SSIS product.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  DaveBriCam.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  DaveBriCam.
  • I suggest you run this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-ver15#ssdt-for-vs-2017-standalone-installer

making sure you select 'SQL Server Integration Services' during installation. I'm not sure whether you have to uninstall your existing SSDT first.

• Try this.

1. In VS create a new SSIS project/solution.
    2. Add the existing .dtsx to the new solution
    3. Then try opening the package by double clicking it in Solution Explorer.

You also have to make sure the SSIS package version and the version of VS are compatible. For example, I have to use VS10 to open SQL Server 2012 SSIS packages.

• I had to uninstall everything to clean things up. Should I install VS before the link you posted?

• DaveBriCam wrote:

I had to uninstall everything to clean things up. Should I install VS before the link you posted?

Assuming you have full VS Pro, yes.

• The link you supplied worked with no problems.... thanks!

• One more issue arose. I cannot edit my C# Scripts... I hit the button and C# won't launch... I ran the repair on VS 17 and restarted my machine and the problem persists. Any ideas?

• DaveBriCam wrote:

One more issue arose. I cannot edit my C# Scripts... I hit the button and C# won't launch... I ran the repair on VS 17 and restarted my machine and the problem persists. Any ideas?

I've had this happen to me several times. It's a real showstopper and (you're not going to like this one bit!) the only way I was able to resolve it was to do a full uninstall/reinstall of SSDT. As far as I remember, I did not have to reinstall VS as well, which saves a few hours.

• Did an uninstall/reinstall of SSDT. Still can't see or edit my C# script. I uninstalled VS. What is the best link to reinstall VS & SSDT?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply