Unable to Connect to Server

• It seems bizarre a user can connect clear across the country, but I can't sitting in the same room. Here's the steps for me to

recreate the error:

1. Start up Query Analyzer and go to File\Connect

2. Use the ... dialog to find the computer I want.

3. Use sa and its password.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Error: Unable to connect to server LS-IMRIE\SILFW:

Server: Msg 17 Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft].[ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not

exist or access denied.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I also reduplicated the error with Windows Authentication, but I expected

that, too.

This site seems to address the same issue, but I'm not quite understanding

it: http://dbforums.com/archives/t124321.html

I can connect to other machines (servers) in the room, but not this particular one.

Steve

Steve Miller

• Can your system ping the server? Did any sort of network activity happen since the last time you connected? What OS is both the client and the Server running?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks for the quick response.

>> Can your system ping the server?

I'm getting an error with Explorer that I can't access the server, but another computer can access it fine, and still gets the error reported.

>> Did any sort of network activity happen since the last time you connected?

As far as I know, I've never been able to connect to this particular server. We're running MSDE under an app here, and each of the machines is considered both client and server. Typically we don't get multiple connections on a server, but this is one problem that has mystified us when we do try connecting multiple users.

>> What OS is both the client and the Server running?

All the clients and the server in this case are running XP. If I can solve this, I'll see if it applies to a similar problem we're seeing on mixed Windows platforms.

Steve

Steve Miller

• We've discovered that we can connect with Explorer to the server before attempting the connect with Query Analyzer, but not after. In other words, the error with the Query Analyzer kills the network connection.

Steve

Steve Miller

• Have you configured alias to the SQL server instance LS-IMRIE\SILFW with client network utility?

• I'm sorry, I don't really understand the suggestion.

Books On Line says: "Most users will never need to use the Client Network utility. To connect to Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000, users can specify only the network name of the server on which SQL Server is running, and optionally the name of the instance of SQL Server." That is what we've been trying to do. We're specifying both the instance and the name of the server.

Books On Line also states: "In some cases, an instance of SQL Server may be configured to listen on alternate network addresses." Is this what you're suggesting? If so, I don't know how it would apply in this case. I can connect to other servers in the room, on the same network. It's only this one particular server I'm having trouble with.

Steve

Steve Miller

• If you're running XP, you've running MDAC 2.7. It has support for named instances. What the previous user was referring to was if you have MDAC 2.5 or below, you can't get to a named instance by <Server>\<Instance Name>. Rather, you have to know the TCP port the instance listens on and then configure an alias with Client Network Utility. Since the default instance is 1433, a named instance will not be on that port, hence the reason for knowing the port for the alias.

When you say the server is XP, it's XP Pro or a .Net RC server?

I'm going to ask a typical Microsoft question, so no flames, please! Have you applied the latest service pack on the client tools?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• >> When you say the server is XP, it's XP Pro or a .Net RC server?

Sorry. All machines in this case are XP Pro.

>> I'm going to ask a typical Microsoft question, so no flames, please! Have you applied the latest service pack on the client tools?

🙂 I wouldn't flame you; I know you're a good guy.

The server and the clients that can not connect are SQL Server 2000 SP2. The client that can connect--across the continent--doesn't have any service packs applied. Just the opposite of what I would've expected.

Getting back to another question, I can ping Ls-Imrie. But rebooting doesn't necessarily mean I can connect to his machine via Explorer. He does have a shared folder I can access. I'm starting to think there's a setting in the network somewhere that's not quite right.

Also, I was talking on the phone to our colleagues in NC who can connect, the one without SPs. We fired up Client Network Utility on each of our machines, and he has a number of settings different than mine. The most interesting to me is:

-- my TCP/IP default port is 1433, and his is 3090.

-- my default pipe is sql\query, his is \\.\pipe\MSSQL$SILFW\sql\query

I tried setting these two the same as his on my machine, but got the same problem. But then, Explorer is having troubles, so there might still be an underlying network problem.

Steve

Steve Miller

• Wouldn't ya know it, I can't connect with Query Analyzer on my own machine now. In fact, I can't connect to anyone's machine with QA anymore.

I used the Client Network Utility to change the settings, as described in the last message: the TCP/IP port went to 3090. The default pipe went to \\.\pipe\MSSQL$SILFW\sql\query

When that didn't work on Ls-Imrie, I switched them back. Or thought I did. Now I can't connect to my db with QA or Enterprise Mgr. The error I'm getting is almost identical to the one in the first message. But instead of [DBNETLIB], the message has [DBMSLPCN]. Don't know what that means.

What's really bizarre is I can connect to my machine using another machine in the room.

If I didn't think I was close to an answer, I'd give up and go home.

Steve

Steve Miller

• Open the client network utility from your machine, choose alias tab and click add button, fill in 'LS-IMRIE\SILFW' in server alias and server name boxes, select TCP/IP from network library, un-check dynamically determine port and fill port number 3090. You will be able to acces named instance LS-IMRIE\SILFW. Same configuration for any other named instances you like to access in your network. Different named instance has different TCP port number so make sure to use correct port number.

To access those default instances, remove the rest server alias except above named instances alias from client network library because the default SQL Server instance listens to port 1433 so you don't have to configure them as above.

Make sure you can ping to those SQL Server machines by name.

• >> Open the client network utility from your machine, choose alias tab and click add button

Allen, I tried this and it didn't work. From what I'm reading on Books On Line, and from what Bryan has said in another message, I'm not sure it should have worked. I'm using a version of MDAC that's newer than 2.5, so we can use the name of the server and the instance. Also, other servers can connect to me without aliases. But thanks for the suggestions. When I start working with older versions of Windows, I'm sure they'll be helpful.

>> Wouldn't ya know it, I can't connect with Query Analyzer on my own machine now.

I cleared the "Force protocol encryption" box and my QA suddenly came to life. Seems like that should be checked, and thought it was before I started playing with it, but for now it's not.

Still can't connect to LS-IMRIE.

There's a response from MS over on the MSDN newsgroup to someone else's connection message about woes. I'm going to chew on that for awhile. It's fairly large, so I won't post it here, unless someone wants me to.

Steve

Steve Miller

• Well, after a lot of trial and error, I discovered this worked, using Allen Cui's messages:

1. Bring up Client Network Utility.

2. Go to the Alias tab.

3. Add...

4. Make an Alias Imrie. The server name defaults to Imrie. Set the Pipe Name to \\.\pipe\MSSQL$SILFW\sql\query

5. Press Apply.

6. Use Imrie to connect (not Ls-Imrie\SILFW).

Query Analyzer now connects. The question is: "WHY?" I don't get it.

The next question is how to support it in the field. Our users are in the far corners of the world, away from tech support.

Steve

Steve Miller

• We've been working with this over in MSDN. Here's my latest response, in case anyone is still following this thread:

-----------------------------

> So the command should be:

>

>telnet XP_SERVER 1261.

I found from the log that the server is listening to port 1119. The Server Network Utility says the default port is 1119 This is from the log:

2002-09-24 11:22:04.15 spid3 Server name is 'LS-IMRIE\SILFW'.

2002-09-24 11:22:04.20 server Using 'SSNETLIB.DLL' version '8.0.534'.

2002-09-24 11:22:04.20 server SQL server listening on 111.11.1.11: 1119.

2002-09-24 11:22:04.20 server SQL server listening on 222.2.2.2: 1119

So I tried different things from the client, none of which worked:

telnet LS-IMRIE 1119

telnet LS-IMRIE\SILFW 1119

But does this matter? I got a connection using named pipes, which I described in my last note.

Not only that, our colleagues in NC are connecting with the same settings as we are (despite what I reported in my first message--he was looking at the Server Network Utility, not the Client Network Utility). Also, see tests below.

>Please use 'Server Network Utility' to check whether the >SQL Server enables TCP/IP.

TCP/IP is enabled.

>Also, creating a server alias for a named instance is >another method.

Adding aliases in the Client Network Utility:

Test 1

------

1. Server Alias: LS-IMRIESILFW

2. TCP/IP

3. Server Name: LS-IMRIE\SILFW

4. Dynamically Determine Port checked

Error: Specified server not found

Test 2

------

2. Named Pipes

3. Server Name: LS-IMRIE\SILFW

4. Pipe Name: \\LS-IMRIE\pipe\MSSQL$SILFW\sql\query

Error: Specified server not found

Test 3

------

2. Named Pipes

3. Server Name: .\SILFW

4. Pipe Name: \\.\pipe\MSSQL$SILFW\sql\query

Success!

Test 4

------

2. TCP/IP

3. Server Name: .\SILFW

4. Dynamically Determine Port checked

Success!

Evidently my machine has some problem with the server name "LS-IMRIE".

Steve

Steve Miller

• Hello undebtedly or Steve,

I encountered the same problems like you connecting to a remote SQL server in the same network via tcp-ip (and pipes). I have read all the correspondence available on SQLServerCentral and it's still not functioning.

I did the following things:

1. Network is working correct, ports are listening to 1433 and 3090, no firewalls active

2. Tested with numerous Client Network Utilities "Aliases", also with the ones you appointed 'succesful'

3. Installed MDAC 2.7 and configured a (also) not working DataLink

4. Checked Server Network Utility on the SQL server, 1433

My server is named 1stbrain-server

In the server i've enabled 'rpc'

Please help, deejay

• Hello Deejay or Dirk 🙂 ,

(I use Undebtedly because "Steve Miller" is a very common name here in the U. S. I can never just call myself simply "Steve Miller" in a newsgroup, because someone else is already using the name.)

I don't how much I can help. There are so many factors to something like this. Our network people finally figured ours out. Here is what he said (the IP address has been changed):

"nbtstat -a" revealed that ls-imrie was at 111.11.5.81. I've changed the dns entries for ls-imrie to point to the 5.81 address. 4.26 was issued to the ips-backup2k machine (by Ziklag2 the dhcp server). With the ls-imrie settings changed to 5.81, I was able to register ls-imrie to my Dallas SQL servers group

I also found some help from a Microsoft person on the MSDN site. She didn't answer my question, but she may pick up yours. You can find the SQL Server group at http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/. Go to Enterprise Development/.NET Enterprise Servers/SQL Server.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Steve Miller

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply