Unable to connect to Instance by name but works by port -- suggestions?

• We have a SQL 2008 Cluster (A/A/P) that's been in place for years, and today one user reported that he could no longer connect to any of the Instances using SSMS 2008 or SSMS 2012. No other users are reporting this issue, and I'm able to connect to the server and instance without issue (example Server1\Inst1) as are other users. The work around for him was to use the Port instead (Server1,12001), but I'm scratching my head on why this is occurring. He's able to connect to all of our other SQL servers by instance outside of the cluster, but each of the instances on the SQL 2008 cluster are doing this for only him.

My hope is this is just something on his machine, but my fear is it's the first drop of a much larger problem. At this point I'm still investigating, so any suggestions on what could cause this?

Thanks.

• I've had this happen in the past, it turned out to be a firewall change made by the network team. I can't recall the exact details but this blog may help you....

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nettracer/archive/2010/10/05/sql-browser-may-not-be-reachable-through-firewalls-when-it-runs-on-a-cluster.aspx

• tripleAxe (12/19/2013)

I've had this happen in the past, it turned out to be a firewall change made by the network team. I can't recall the exact details but this blog may help you....

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nettracer/archive/2010/10/05/sql-browser-may-not-be-reachable-through-firewalls-when-it-runs-on-a-cluster.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Thanks for the reply, I thought this may be something related to the Browser Service packets being blocked by a firewall at either the client or network level, so I'm reviewing these avenues now. Also great article, thanks for posting... it's interesting what all occurs under the hood.

I'll report back on what we find.

Thanks again.

• Issue solved, it was the firewall on the workstation. When that was disabled the Instance loaded fine.

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply