Typical SQL interview questions for Data Analysts?

• So I’m currently applying for a more senior Data Analyst positions and i wanted to know what to expect in terms of SQL interview questions.

what’s the typical style? Is it take home usually? Using a laptop? Or straight up old school annotation on paper?

I’ve kinda looked online and the typical SQL questions i see are for DBA’s or Data Engineers.

I’m self taught in SQL and generally write SQL queries just to get the data out and plumb it to a BI tool.

I rarely consider the efficiency of the query unless it’s super slow.

Any pointers?

• I'm pretty sure this a spam post.  The exact same question was posted on Reddit a month ago.  It's looks like the ol' one question from login and answer with a link by another later on...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SQL/comments/y2up02/typical_sql_interview_questions_for_data_analysts/

My other recommendation is that, if it takes someone a month to figure this out, they're not qualified for the job to begin with! 😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• kohalnity wrote:

So I’m currently applying for a more senior Data Analyst positions and i wanted to know what to expect in terms of SQL interview questions.

If you are actually a senior level person, one would expect that you should be aware of a typical situation you may have encountered, and what solutions you may have applied.   "Data Analysist" can encompass a pretty broad set of skills.  If, in one example, a position may require coding in the R language.  You are not going to be able to study a cheat sheet and be able to pass the interview.

kohalnity wrote:

what’s the typical style? Is it take home usually? Using a laptop? Or straight up old school annotation on paper?

What do you mean by "style"?  Would you be expecting a technical exam?  A verbal exam?  I think the bulk of the interviews would be describing a situation, problem, and desired outcome. You would be expected to provide what you would to to understand the situation, solve the problem, and achieve the desired solution.

kohalnity wrote:

I rarely consider the efficiency of the query unless it’s super slow.

Any pointers?

If you make that kind of statement in an interview for a SENIOR level position, expect a lot of rejection.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply