Typical Day for a SQL Server DBA

• I'm putting together some training materials for my company and one session that I'm presenting is the typcal day for a SQL Server DBA.  Never having been a DBA before I thought what better place to learn more about your day to day tasks than this message board.  I'd appreciate if anyone is willing to participate to jot a few lines down as far as what a typical day looks like for you.  What you do when you first arrive in the morning, what you spend the majority of your time on, and what you need to do before leaving for the night.

I appreciate any input that you may have.  If anyone wants to contact me outside of the board, feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks so much!!!

Jason Hall

• I'm not the most experienced, but here's how my day goes.  Bear in mind that I'm not only a DBA, but an applications developer, as well.  But, my DBA duties are as follows:

1.  Check log files (event viewer, sql error logs, etc.)

2.  Check jobs

3.  Check connections, etc.

• I've worked on SQL Server 2000, now working with Sybase 11.9, both of which are quite similar.

My day starts with checking out the monitoring mails, which have the error messages, threshold limits crossing instances, service requests executed, database size report, database backup report etc.

Then I make sure to UPDATE ALL STATISTICS for our most frequently used db/tables.

Routine DBCCs are also carried according to a schedule.

• Jason - there is no such thing as a 'typical' day froa DBA. You will probably find as many definitions for a 'typical' day as there are opinions amongst the DBAs. You may find many things in common that are performed too. However no two shops/coprorations are alike. There are some good things about DBA tasks and responsibilities on this web site ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I agree with rudy.  None of my days are typical.  I tend to spend 75% of my time debugging vendor supplied stored procedures and writing ad-hoc queries to find/fix problems that the application cannot repair or has created. 

The other 25% is spent doing typical DBA things, such as checking job status, monitoring backups (with automated emails), and etc.

A minor part of my day usually involves checking the SSC email update, and generally checking out news and developer/DBA related items of interest.

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• I also agree with Rudy.  There is no such thing as a typical day.  Also, keep in mind that routine tasks performed by DBAs varies greatly based on which type of DBA you are talking to (Development, Production, Data Architect, etc).

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Ditto -

Anything that I do routinely, I usually find a way to automate that so that I can move on to other things.  my 2 cents

-- Cory

• Most of the schedules things are set to send alerts... so checking mail is the most important thing

•  

hmmm.  I guess this is a question for folks that like to keep diaries.

The list is endless....  better for you google it up and see... there are quite a few out there...

here's one...http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/oracle/699/orahtml/oramag/a_day.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply