Trying to connecting from Visual studio to Sql server 2008

• i am trying to connect to a database, i have option for the server but no database. is this a login issue?

• broHam (12/30/2009)

i am trying to connect to a database, i have option for the server but no database. is this a login issue?

No it is not related to permission but it is related to the instance you are connecting to, when you choose the server then you get the databases dropdownlist to select the database. I just checked my VS2008 so it is local to you.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• i did that but there no options to select from and i know there is a least one database there. oh i forgot to mention that sql server is on another pc which is in the same workgroup as the VS2008 pc

• broHam (12/30/2009)

i did that but there no options to select from and i know there is a least one database there. oh i forgot to mention that sql server is on another pc which is in the same workgroup as the VS2008 pc

Then you need to create the server at server explorer before connecting, that is the reason I always start my connection from the server explorer.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• i was able to add the server but the database is still not coming up.

• broHam (12/30/2009)

i was able to add the server but the database is still not coming up.

I helped a user with this problem and it was related to VS2008 showing only SQL Server 2008 connection so you have to remove the 2008 and then you will see the SQL Server 2005. The other option is to make sure the instance browser service and all protocols are enabled. So spend time with SQL Server if 2005 SAC(surface area configuration) tool and configuration manager. Then try again.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• but i am running SQL Server 2008, would happen to have some step by step instructions i could use.

thanks for you help so far by the way

• broHam (12/30/2009)

but i am running SQL Server 2008, would happen to have some step by step instructions i could use.

thanks for you help so far by the way

In SQL Server 2008 there is no SAC so all you need to enable is in configuration manager, turn on the browser service, TCP/IP and Named Pipes in protocol. You should know that you could also download the SQL Server 2005 Express Management Studio and install it then locally register the remote SQL Server so it is local to you. The reason is VS2008 should have installed SQL Server 2005 Express during installation.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• ok i will try those tomorrow and let you know.

thanks

• For what it's worth,

Is the connection you're using passing the credentials you're expecting. I.E. You may have the the user set up on the system but not the actual databases thus it's not showing you any available databases with then SQL 2008 Instance.

• the biggest problem was the fact that i had sql server and vs on two different computers. let say computerA and computerB, and they were in a workgroup not a lan. i setup the same account on each computer, which was the one i was trying to use to login, but then i realized that even though i was using the same account. It was still showing up as computerA/sameacc on the sql compupter which is not the same as computerB/sameacc. Being that there is no lan and i have no active directory setup, it was going to be more trouble than i wanted. so i just put sql and vs on the same computer and vola it works fine.

i just want to say thanks to and Gift peddie for helping. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply