Trust!

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Trust!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• My Dad told me when I was quite young that "Half of all that is written is wrong and the other half is usually written in such a fashion that you can't actually tell".

With that, I'll say that I've long had a serious mistrust of anything written, especially from people who write about SQL.  That includes the "Official Documentation".  Unfortunately, I didn't mistrust enough when it came to that documentation and it took me for a ride (like it did with more than 99% of the world for "Best Practice Index Maintenance" that I've not yet finished researching but I have proven that it was seriously wrong.  As a result, I have zero trust in anything published on BBFAATT (another "Moden-ism" pronounced as "B-B-Fat" where the "Fat" may also be bleated as a goat might... or not and stands for Books, Blogs, Forums, Articles, AI, 'Tubes, and Talks).

This is especially true when it comes to "AI".  It has failed to produce answers that actually work and have no performance issues for every simple but non-beginner questions that I've asked it.  It couldn't even solve the problem of 10+10x10-10 properly.

So, while a whole lot of things have gotten better in this world, my trust in "expertise" has made flushing sounds and the advent of AI (especially with its ability to easily construct deep-fake pictures and 'tubes) have produced the final gurgle in the trust toilet.

That doesn't stop me from observing BBFAATT but I have no trust in it, whether it's for SQL or anything else.  Instead, I use it as motivation to prove things, one way or the other.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I also have been concerned that decreasing trust will result in decreasing capabilities in technology.

Libertarianism is a philosophy that is gaining popularity, but it is also one that results in a general lowering of trust.  It has no defense when someone with more guns than you moves in next door and tells you what you thought was your land is now theirs.

Lower trust will bring lower security and local concentrations of physical power.  This situation can operate as a parasite on a high trust society, sucking out technology, food, etc.  However, if it replaces high trust societies the source of technology is also gone. The only tech that survives is what can be made locally.

We give up trust at great peril to just about everything else that we value.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Grant, and anyone else who may not be aware, the USPS offers Informed Delivery on their web site which provides pictures of most mail being delivered.  It's a simple matter to set up your account for Informed Delivery and know what should be delivered that day.  It has tabs for both regular mail and packages (pkg has tracking so you know when it was shipped, what points on the route it has passed, it's current location, and estimated delivery date).

Check it out.

2023-06-03 10 09 54

• I take exception to 60 years being old.

If you maintain your fitness, then it is just a pit stop on the way to being old.

My "old age" heroes are Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger. I am older than you but nowhere near their age.

As far as trust goes, most of the crooks have gone online,

The phone company could stop them if they wanted to since everything is ip based now.

So far my neighborhood has been safe from porch and mailbox fees.

My most recent persistent robo caller keeps leaving messages that I can get up to $26,000 per employee from the pandemic.

With AI generated voice duplication of our loved ones, we now have to watch for fake kidnapping calls using real voices.

Where is my time travelling DeLorean when I need it?

• When I was growing up, our house, when it was even locked at all, was locked with a 'skeleton key' (look that one up if you are not old enough to know).  And everyone in the neighborhood knew that the key hung on a nail inside the garage door (the garage had no lock at all).

But now, when sitting at home in the evening, I normally have my sidearm under my shirt tail, as I do at this moment in my home office.  Every night it is in a bedside drawer.  When we're out to dinner, it's under a vest.

My trust has changed from trusting others to trusting myself.  Am I crazy?  No, but lots of other people are.

If you younger folks want my trust again, bring back the old insane asylums as a start, and begin putting people in prison again for crimes. Then we'll talk about trust.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• GRANT: Are we starting to move from a high trust society to a low trust one? I don't think so. I think society, as a whole, is as trustworthy as ever. However, a few bad apples can indeed spoil the bunch...

Trust appears to be evaporating in our society. I see it at every level of our society and in virtually all of our governments.

Trust is the glue that creates civilization and holds it together. Without it, all that is left is to pass and enforce laws to control peoples' behavior, a more draconian society.

GRANT: A few bad apples...

True. So can a few cancer cells. Distrust is like a cancer spreading through our society.  It doesn't take much of a loss of trust before it begins to permeate peoples' minds. Once trust is lost, how is it regained?

Trust is earned, not granted. Earning trust takes time. Once trust is lost, how long does it take to reestablish it? I think years, decades. maybe a lifetime.

Ask anyone whose spouse has cheated on them, do they fully trust their spouse? Do they trust their spouse like they did before he/she cheated on them?

• Grant, I don't agree with you. It seems to me that some might use high technology as a means of keeping people at arm's length. It seems to me that large portions of society are getting progressively worse. Certainly, some aspects of life are significantly better, but I still find that not everything has improved for the better. Perhaps some of this is because I am melancholy by nature. Also, I grew up in the country where our society expects everyone to be friendly, however the kids near me were cruel to me, hitting me, etc. And I also grew up in a time when you kept such negative behavior to yourself. Everyone just "sucked it up". That only resulted in bullies feeling more empowered, which led to more abuse, etc. Anyway, perhaps my early life trained me to expect some things to go from bad to worse.

Bottom line, from my point of view, technology doesn't increase trust and it may indirectly lower it.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• kd4wat wrote:

Grant, and anyone else who may not be aware, the USPS offers Informed Delivery on their web site which provides pictures of most mail being delivered.  It's a simple matter to set up your account for Informed Delivery and know what should be delivered that day.  It has tabs for both regular mail and packages (pkg has tracking so you know when it was shipped, what points on the route it has passed, it's current location, and estimated delivery date).

Check it out.

2023-06-03 10 09 54

kd4wat wrote:

Grant, and anyone else who may not be aware, the USPS offers Informed Delivery on their web site which provides pictures of most mail being delivered.  It's a simple matter to set up your account for Informed Delivery and know what should be delivered that day.  It has tabs for both regular mail and packages (pkg has tracking so you know when it was shipped, what points on the route it has passed, it's current location, and estimated delivery date).

Check it out.

2023-06-03 10 09 54

We do use this. It's part of how we know exactly what was stolen. However, it doesn't prevent the theft in the first place. Our set up is weird. The mailbox is a mile from the house. The thieves were watching the mail truck go by and following it. We never knew the mail was delivered until after it was stolen. Currently, we're holding our mail. We'll be working on installing a sturdy locking mailbox shortly. <sigh>

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Truly appreciate everyone's feedback on this one. I find it a fascinating topic. I like the various approaches we all take, based on a combination of our own experiences and a bit of common sense. I'm sure not starting arguments with any of you.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• An amazing book related to this very topic is The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by Harvard economist David Landes. Highly encourage anybody who wants to learn more about high and low trust economies to read it.

• An excellent book on this very topic is The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by Harvard economist David Landes. If you are interested in the difference between high and low trust economies I highly encourage reading it.

• What is it with double posts on this site? When I submitted my first post I got a 403 error and then when I refreshed the page I didn't see my comment so I posted again...

The second one submitted instantly and my first post showed up with it...

(-_-'')

• And here's another area of trust that worries me.  I regularly reconcile all my financial accounts monthly.  Why?  Because they are all on computer systems that can cause errors.  Just a few minutes ago we had to handle a strange thing.  I got a check in the mail yesterday from an unknown source, addressed to me but pay-to-the-order-of Best Buy.  Strange, since I don't owe Best Buy anything and haven't used the account in several years.

After calling the bill pay service, it seems my wife put in a bill-pay payment to Best Buy for $65.00 on her account, but bill-pay didn't have an address to mail a check, so it sent a check to me payable to Best Buy.  I guess I'm the second name on her account.

Go figure...  Even with my IT background, there are still many, many things that boggle my mind.  I do get somewhat weary figuring out other people's problems when I should be on the patio with a bottle of wine...  Woops, sorry about that, it's only noon.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Audionova wrote:

What is it with double posts on this site? When I submitted my first post I got a 403 error and then when I refreshed the page I didn't see my comment so I posted again...

The second one submitted instantly and my first post showed up with it...

(-_-'')

Just seems like it happens sometimes. Random. Sorry about that.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply