Troubleshooting a pipeline error

• I am creating a pipeline in a data factory per this page's instructions, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/tutorial-incremental-copy-change-data-capture-feature-portal. I am a beginner with this and am trying to follow the instruction as closely as possible. The change, in my case, is that I am using a VM SQL installation, also in Azure, but not a managed instance. I have successfully "previewed" the data from the Lookup object, and it returns a value of 3, for the number of rows that have changed.

I am at step 8 of the "Create a pipeline to copy the changed data" section, run in debug mode, and when I run the pipeline I get a message that the pipeline failed. No useful troubleshooting information at all. As I was gathering info for this post I viewed the code of the pipeline, cancelled out of that, then attempted to run the pipeline again in debug mode. Now I get "HasChangedRows

The output of activity 'GetChangeCount' can't be referenced since it is either not an ancestor to the current activity or does not exist"

Where do I go from here?

My code:

{
    "name": "IncrementalCopyPipeline",
    "properties": {
    "activities": [
    {
    "name": "GetChangeCount",
    "type": "Lookup",
    "dependsOn": [],
    "policy": {
    "timeout": "7.00:00:00",
    "retry": 0,
    "retryIntervalInSeconds": 30,
    "secureOutput": false,
    "secureInput": false
    },
    "userProperties": [],
    "typeProperties": {
    "source": {
    "type": "SqlServerSource",
    "sqlReaderQuery": "DECLARE @from_lsn binary(10), @to_lsn binary(10); \nSET @from_lsn =sys.fn_cdc_get_min_lsn('dbo_Acknowledgement_Timeliness'); \nSET @to_lsn = sys.fn_cdc_map_time_to_lsn('largest less than or equal', GETDATE());\nSELECT count(1) changecount FROM cdc.fn_cdc_get_net_changes_dbo_Acknowledgement_Timeliness(@from_lsn, @to_lsn, 'all')",
    "queryTimeout": "02:00:00",
    "partitionOption": "None"
    },
    "dataset": {
    "referenceName": "ZTWSHRDSQL08C_TestReplicationToDataLake",
    "type": "DatasetReference"
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "name": "HasChangedRows",
    "type": "IfCondition",
    "expression": {
    "value": "@greater(int(activity('GetChangeCount').output.firstRow.changecount),0)",
    "type": "Expression"
    },
    "ifTrueActivities": [
    {
    "name": "Wait1",
    "type": "Wait",
    "waitTimeInSeconds": 1
    }
    }
    ]
    }
    }
    ],
    "annotations": []
    }
    }

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• Finally stumbled across the solution. You have to connect the objects for with a workflow, something that the documentation on the MS page did not mention. Now to work through the rest of it.

Microsoft: Halfway on every solution.

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply