Triiger On Insert

• I have one table which contains product price details.

------------------------------------------------------

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ProdPriceDetails](

[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[ProdPriceListID] [int] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPrice__ProdP__0CBAE877] DEFAULT ((0)),

[IsUnitPrice] [bit] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPrice__IsUni__0DAF0CB0] DEFAULT ((0)),

[Range] [nvarchar](120) NULL,

[Price] [money] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPrice__Price__0EA330E9] DEFAULT ((0)),

[IsActualPrice] [bit] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPrice__IsAct__0F975522] DEFAULT ((0)),

[MRSP] [int] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPriceD__MRSP__108B795B] DEFAULT ((0)),

[CreatedBy] [int] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPrice__Creat__117F9D94] DEFAULT ((0)),

[CreatedDate] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[LastUpdatedBy] [int] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__ProdPrice__LastU__1273C1CD] DEFAULT ((0)),

[LastUpdatedDate] [datetime] NULL,

CONSTRAINT [aaaaaProdPriceDetails2_PK] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED

(

[ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ProdPriceDetails] WITH NOCHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_ProdPriceDetails_ProdPriceList] FOREIGN KEY([ProdPriceListID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[ProdPriceList] ([ProdPriceListID])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ProdPriceDetails] NOCHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_ProdPriceDetails_ProdPriceList]

------------------------------------------------------

insert into ProdPriceDetails values(1,0,'a',10,0,0,0,getdate(),0,getdate())

insert into ProdPriceDetails values(2,0,'a',20,0,0,0,getdate(),0,getdate())

insert into ProdPriceDetails values(3,0,'a',30,0,0,0,getdate(),0,getdate())

insert into ProdPriceDetails values(4,0,'a',40,0,0,0,getdate(),0,getdate())

I wish to fire a trigger on this table on insert statement if the price value of row 1 changes from 10 to any other value.

Here instead of updating values i am deleting all the values and inserting them again.

(I am able to get this functionality working if i am updating records but failing if i use delete+insert operation.)

I want to store both old and new price value in new table(Archive_ProdPriceChange)

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[Archive_ProdPriceChange] Script Date: 04/05/2010 11:16:43 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Archive_ProdPriceChange](

[ID] [int] NULL,

[ProdPriceListID] [int] NULL,

[ProdID] [int] NULL,

[CountryID] [int] NULL,

[CurrencyID] [int] NULL,

[Price] [money] NULL,

[OldPrice] [money] NULL,

[CreatedBy] [int] NULL,

[CreatedDate] [datetime] NULL,

[LastUpdatedBy] [int] NULL,

[LastUpdatedDate] [datetime] NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

Here is sql statement that i have tried so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

-- =============================================

-- Author: <Author,,Name>

-- Create date: <Create Date,,>

-- Description: <Description,,>

-- =============================================

CREATE TRIGGER ArchiveProdPriceChangeInsert

ON ProdPriceDetails

AFTER INSERT

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- Insert statements for trigger here

--DECLARE VARIABLES Having one to one Mapping with ProdSubAppLangDependent Table

DECLARE @ID int

DECLARE @ProdPriceListID int

DECLARE @ProdID int

DECLARE @CountryID int

DECLARE @CurrencyID int

DECLARE @Price money

DECLARE @OldPrice money

DECLARE @createdby int

DECLARE @CreatedDate datetime

DECLARE @LastUpdatedBy int

DECLARE @LastUpdatedDate datetime

DECLARE @NewPrice money

END

SELECT @ID = i.ID, @ProdPriceListID = i.ProdPriceListID, @Price = i.Price,

@createdby = i.CreatedBy, @CreatedDate = i.CreatedDate, @LastUpdatedBy = i.LastUpdatedBy,

@LastUpdatedDate = i.LastUpdatedDate , @OldPrice=d.Price, @NewPrice=i.Price

FROM Inserted i

INNER JOIN deleted d ON i.ID = d.ID

--Get relevant details from the ProdPriceList table

SELECT @ProdID = ProdID, @CountryID = CountryID, @CurrencyID=CurrencyID

FROM ProdPriceList

WHERE ProdPriceListID = @ProdPriceListID

--Insert the same into the Archive table

if (@OldPrice <> @NewPrice)

Begin

INSERT INTO Archive_ProdPriceChange

(ID,ProdPriceListID,ProdID,CountryID,CurrencyID,Price,OldPrice,CreatedBy,CreatedDate,LastUpdatedBy,LastUpdatedDate)

VALUES(@ID,@ProdPriceListID,@ProdID,@CountryID,@CurrencyID,@Price,@OldPrice,@CreatedBy,@CreatedDate,@LastUpdatedBy,@LastUpdatedDate)

End

GO

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kindly Provide suggestion for this.

Thanks,

Nilesh

• Inside an INSERT trigger, you will not have any data in the deleted table. Only the inserted will have data.

Why are you preferring delete + insert method over the update method? Any particular reason?

If you want to maintain the old and new value history, you will have to store the deleted values in a seperate table and then compare the inserted values with the data in that table for further processing.

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Delete + Insert is as per the business logic so that can not be changed.

Any alternative than storing values in separate table before delete?

• In Case Of Insert You do not have old price of product.when you update a record then u can get old and new price

• nilesh k (4/5/2010)

Delete + Insert is as per the business logic so that can not be changed.

Any alternative than storing values in separate table before delete?

One more idea would be to maintain a IsDeleted bit in the table which can be set when the data is suppopsed to be deleted. You should not physically delete the data. You can physically delete it when the corresponding insert happens.

Kingston Dhasian

• There's no unique key in table so that i can associate 'IsDelete' with new inserted record.

So cant use separate table even.

• Then i would suggest you to create a unique column and then proceed. A system generated IDENTITY column should be fine unless it breaks your existing code or procedures.

Kingston Dhasian

• well identity columns value is going to differ in delete and insert.so how can i make it worth?

• nilesh k (4/5/2010)

well identity columns value is going to differ in delete and insert.so how can i make it worth?

that is not true; I can understand how it might seem confusing.

the INSERTED and DELETED tables are the virtual tables that have the before and after values of each row affected in the statement which made the trigger event occur.

a row of data can have one(and only one) column populated with an identity() value; that value is inserted before the trigger commences it's work, so if you if you had an empty table, for example, and inserted one row of data, the value of that identity() column in the trigger would be 1.

later if you update or delete that row, that value is still 1; the value does not change...

so you can JOIN the INSERTED and DELETED tableson that column...they will always have the same value for the same rows, which makes it super easy to compare other columns in the table to their new and old values to see if a change occurred or not.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• nilesh k (4/5/2010)

This is such a terrible idea that I have to ask. What is the actual requirement for this? Don't say it's the requirement "per the business logic". I want to know why it's a requirement of the business logic because it currently makes no logical sense for it to be done this way and it makes no sense for a developer to not ask "why".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (4/5/2010)

nilesh k (4/5/2010)

This is such a terrible idea that I have to ask. What is the actual requirement for this? Don't say it's the requirement "per the business logic". I want to know why it's a requirement of the business logic because it currently makes no logical sense for it to be done this way and it makes no sense for a developer to not ask "why".

And with the absence of a unique key, the work around though possible would be quite tedious. So changing the business logic seems a bit less tedious in this case.

Lets see whats the reason for the business logic.

Kingston Dhasian

• Can you give bit more clarification using sql statement for trigger?

• Kingston Dhasian (4/5/2010)

Jeff Moden (4/5/2010)

nilesh k (4/5/2010)

And with the absence of a unique key, the work around though possible would be quite tedious. So changing the business logic seems a bit less tedious in this case.

Lets see whats the reason for the business logic.

I completely agree about this thumb rule "Insert=Insert & Update=Update".

Well the logic is already built by one developer and the project is on production server.

This is one requirement which came up when we were done with rest of the things

• Lowell (4/5/2010)

nilesh k (4/5/2010)

well identity columns value is going to differ in delete and insert.so how can i make it worth?

that is not true; I can understand how it might seem confusing.

the INSERTED and DELETED tables are the virtual tables that have the before and after values of each row affected in the statement which made the trigger event occur.

a row of data can have one(and only one) column populated with an identity() value; that value is inserted before the trigger commences it's work, so if you if you had an empty table, for example, and inserted one row of data, the value of that identity() column in the trigger would be 1.

later if you update or delete that row, that value is still 1; the value does not change...

so you can JOIN the INSERTED and DELETED tableson that column...they will always have the same value for the same rows, which makes it super easy to compare other columns in the table to their new and old values to see if a change occurred or not.

Can you give bit more clarification using sql statement for trigger?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply