Trigger question

• I have a delete trigger and an update trigger on a table. The delete trigger actually updates data in the table and thus calls the update trigger. Is there a way to prevent the update trigger from firing when the update is from the delete trigger?

TIA

John

John Deupree

• Hi,

I just tried this out...

alter trigger tdTest on dbo.Test

FOR DELETE

AS

BEGIN

disable trigger tuTest on dbo.Test;

UPDATE test SET number = 10 where number2 = 1;

enable trigger tuTest on dbo.Test;

END

...and it works. The update trigger is not fired but for the next update statement it works...

...but I don't know what happens if you have concurrent users 🙁

Hope that helps 🙂

• John Deupree (3/26/2009)

The delete trigger actually updates data in the table and thus calls the update trigger.

Hello,

maybe it would be best to post both triggers and explain why delete trigger updates data in the same table. Maybe it should be done in some other way...

Not knowing what it is about, I could come up with following idea: add column trg_flag BIT with default 0 to your table. In the delete trigger, make sure that you change value in this column (use CASE) and in the update trigger add condition inserted.trg_flag = deleted.trg_flag. However, maybe you already have some means to identify that it is the trigger what caused update and you won't need to add anything, and maybe you can be rid of thie entire problem by writing the triggers differently. That is hard to tell without knowing more.

• Try to handle it with CONTEXT_INFO and a transaction.

Within your DELETE trigger:

BEGIN TRANSACTION

SET CONTEXT_INFO 0x01

-- do your update

SET CONTEXT_INFO 0x00

COMMIT TRANSACTION

Within your UPDATE trigger:

IF (CONTEXT_INFO() = 0x01)

RETURN

Greets

Flo

• If you just merge the two triggers together, it will not trigger itself unless you have Recursive triggers enabled.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Florian:

I would not recommend using CONTEXT_INFO for this (or anything that I can think of). CONTEXT_INFO has no namespace or transactional control so as soon as more than one thing is using at the same time they will start overwriting each other. Bad things follow this...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Nevertheless my old chief (older C programmer) would say 128byte are quiet much place for BIT masks... 😉

The 0x01 was just an example. Sure it's not nice, but sometimes it just needs to work and this would be a solution. So you can define a unique bit or even byte within the context for this special case.

Anyway, I really hope John only needs this for one or two special cases.

Greets

Flo

• Ummmm.... the only way a DELETE trigger that updates the table will cause other triggers to fire is if Cascade Triggers is turned on. It's not normally a good idea because it's "hidden" code and you could end up having a single action do nothing but fire triggers all day.

Disabling a trigger from within a trigger probably shouldn't be done either. What if someone does an update to that table while the trigger is disabled? Unless the whole table is locked, you could be asking for a nearly untraceable world of hurt.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for the reply. I'll try that.

John

John Deupree

• The table is a status table with a begin and end date. Only one status can be the current status and is identified by a null in the end date colunm. Any change in one of the status begin dates updates the end date for the previous status. A deletion of a status updtes the end date of the previous status to null.

Vladan (3/27/2009)

John Deupree (3/26/2009)

The delete trigger actually updates data in the table and thus calls the update trigger.

Hello,

maybe it would be best to post both triggers and explain why delete trigger updates data in the same table. Maybe it should be done in some other way...

Not knowing what it is about, I could come up with following idea: add column trg_flag BIT with default 0 to your table. In the delete trigger, make sure that you change value in this column (use CASE) and in the update trigger add condition inserted.trg_flag = deleted.trg_flag. However, maybe you already have some means to identify that it is the trigger what caused update and you won't need to add anything, and maybe you can be rid of thie entire problem by writing the triggers differently. That is hard to tell without knowing more.

John Deupree

• I'm not familiar with CONTEXT_INFO. I'll try it out. Thanks

Florian Reischl (3/28/2009)

Try to handle it with CONTEXT_INFO and a transaction.

Within your DELETE trigger:

BEGIN TRANSACTION

SET CONTEXT_INFO 0x01

-- do your update

SET CONTEXT_INFO 0x00

COMMIT TRANSACTION

Within your UPDATE trigger:

IF (CONTEXT_INFO() = 0x01)

RETURN

Greets

Flo

John Deupree

• I'll see if I can fo this. Thanks

RBarryYoung (3/28/2009)

If you just merge the two triggers together, it will not trigger itself unless you have Recursive triggers enabled.

John Deupree

• Jeff Moden (3/28/2009)

Disabling a trigger from within a trigger probably shouldn't be done either. What if someone does an update to that table while the trigger is disabled? Unless the whole table is locked, you could be asking for a nearly untraceable world of hurt.

The other reason you don't want to do that is that disabling a trigger counts as a DDL change, it requires ALTER permission on the table and it has to take a Sch-M lock in order to run. A Sch-M lock is not compatible with any other operations on the table, it would have to wait until no one was reading the table to run. Doing that within a trigger is asking for blocking and deadlock problems.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks. I was thinking only of the recursive trigger setting which only controls triggers calling themselves. I wasn't aware that the nested trigger setting could control this. I'm working on a dev instance of SQL. I'll have to see what the setting is on the prod instance.

Jeff Moden (3/28/2009)

Ummmm.... the only way a DELETE trigger that updates the table will cause other triggers to fire is if Cascade Triggers is turned on. It's not normally a good idea because it's "hidden" code and you could end up having a single action do nothing but fire triggers all day.

John Deupree

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply