Transactions in Stored Procedures

• I have created this stored procedure:

create procedure dibtrantest

@des varchar(10)

as

begin tran

insert into ces_dev.dbo.rob1 (des) values (@des)

IF @@ERROR <> 0

BEGIN

ROLLBACK tran

RETURN -1

END

insert into cmss_skoda_3.dbo.rob1 (des) values (@des)

IF @@ERROR <> 0

BEGIN

ROLLBACK tran

RETURN -1

END

commit tran

return 0

GO

The table cmss_skoda_3.dbo.rob1 does not exist and I want it to exit gracefully but when I run it in Query Analyzer it bombs out with these messages:

Invalid object name 'cmss_skoda_3.dbo.rob1'.

Transaction count after EXECUTE indicates that a COMMIT or ROLLBACK TRANSACTION statement is missing. Previous count = 1, current count = 2.

There are no other transactions happening.....can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Rob

• My guess is that this is not a high enough severity level to generate an error as such - more of a warning. If it's not in the error log then I'm on the right track.

Paul Ibison

Paul.Ibison@btinternet.com

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• It will try to ersolve the object cmss_skoda_3.dbo.rob1 at run time as it is in another database. This doesn't exist so it can't generate a query plan for the statement and will exit without executing it. It is exiting without entering the error code check which is why you don't roll back the transaction.

You will get the same effect from a constraint violation in a trigger.

To be safe you should terminate the connection on an error otherwise you can end up within a transaction without expecting it.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• I have observed that query manager behaves somewhat differently that one would expect. Try running your procedure as part of a SQL Server Agent job or calling it from your application. I put this one down to 'strange but true' and just work around it.

• If you put the reference to your external table in dynamic SQL then the SP will the compile, you can then check for existence before you try and use it

Simon Sabin

Co-author of SQL Server 2000 XML Distilled

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904347088

Simon Sabin
    SQL Server MVP

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/simons

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply