Transaction Log Free space

• FileName FileSize FreeSpace PercentageFree

DEFAULTDB_log120.8 MB111.3 MB 92.14 %

Do I need to change it?

• Based on the couple of questions you have posted, I would suggest to you to go to some SQL Server Administristration classes focused on databases, files and maintenance.

You questions are very general, and accepting an answer on this forum might not give you the correct understanding you need to manage a sql server environment.

God Bless,

Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• If your database has intensive insrt/update highload and transaction log grow up quickly, large and empty transaction log can be useful. In another way you should shrink transaction log file and configure compatibility level and beckup policy properly.

• ThomasLL (10/29/2008)

Based on the couple of questions you have posted, I would suggest to you to go to some SQL Server Administristration classes focused on databases, files and maintenance.

You questions are very general, and accepting an answer on this forum might not give you the correct understanding you need to manage a sql server environment.

God Bless,

Thomas

And in response to your actual question: No, I wouldnt worry about changing it though you should ensure that your autogrow settings are sensible (around 10-20%).

100MB-odd is not bad but based on the fact that is has about 10* the data size worth of free space, keep an eye on to ensure some weird query is not forcing growth thru bad coding.

And I agree with Thomas that you should get some basic training. If you do an MS course dont be fooled into doing the transact course first as even though MS says its a pre-req, its well above someone at your level and a waste of time (at this stage).

Or you could just get a good Wrox book 🙂

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• I'd set the autogrowth to a fixed amount, not a percentage.

• /*

Hi nailosuper,

your question is a bit vague? you would like to tell if your log files are too big? one of the first things that you need to work out is how big is big?

you can run the following code to determine your disk capacities and the amount of free space: (please note that this code uses xp_cmdshell, so you will have to

be sa to run it and have it enabled:

sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell',1

GO

RECONFIGURE

*/

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE

@vcName CHAR(1)

--fsutil volume diskfree

CREATE TABLE #tbl_disks

(

DriveCHAR(1)

,[Space]INT

)

CREATE TABLE ##tbl_Volumes

(

DriveCHAR(1)

,InfoVARCHAR(2000)

)

CREATE TABLE ##tbl_Volumes2

(

InfoVARCHAR(2000)

)

INSERT INTO #tbl_disks

EXEC master.dbo.xp_fixeddrives

DECLARE file_cursor CURSOR FOR

SELECT Drive FROM #tbl_disks

ORDER BY Drive

OPEN file_cursor

-- Check @@FETCH_STATUS to see if there are any more rows to fetch.

FETCH NEXT FROM file_cursor

INTO @vcName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

EXEC('

INSERT INTO ##tbl_Volumes (Drive)

VALUES ('''+@vcName+''')

INSERT INTO ##tbl_Volumes2

EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell ''fsutil volume diskfree '+@vcName+':''

UPDATE ##tbl_Volumes

SET Info = v2.Info

FROM ##tbl_Volumes2 v2

WHERE v2.Info LIKE ''%Total # of bytes%''

AND ##tbl_Volumes.Drive = '''+@vcName+'''

TRUNCATE TABLE ##tbl_Volumes2

')

FETCH NEXT FROM file_cursor

INTO @vcName

END

CLOSE file_cursor

DEALLOCATE file_cursor

--SELECT * FROM #tbl_disks

SELECT

CAST(@@SERVERNAME as VARCHAR(35))

,v.Drive

,(CAST((SUBSTRING(v.Info,(CHARINDEX(':',v.Info,1)+1), (LEN(v.Info)-(CHARINDEX(':',v.Info,1))))) as DECIMAL(38,5)))/(1024*1024) TotalVolume

,d.[Space] FreeSpace

,(CAST((SUBSTRING(v.Info,(CHARINDEX(':',v.Info,1)+1), (LEN(v.Info)-(CHARINDEX(':',v.Info,1))))) as DECIMAL(38,5)))/(1024*1024) - (d.[Space]) as SpaceUsed

,CAST((d.[Space] / ((CAST((SUBSTRING(v.Info,(CHARINDEX(':',v.Info,1)+1), (LEN(v.Info)-(CHARINDEX(':',v.Info,1))))) as DECIMAL(38,5)))/(1024*1024) / 100)) AS INT) PercentFreeSpace

FROM ##tbl_Volumes v

INNER JOIN #tbl_disks d ON v.Drive = d.Drive

PRINT 'Results are returned in MB, unless otherwise specified'

DROP TABLE #tbl_disks

DROP TABLE ##tbl_Volumes

DROP TABLE ##tbl_Volumes2

SET NOCOUNT OFF

/*

once you have an idea of the capacity of your drives and how fill they are you can run the following t-sql which will tell you how bi ahh.. screw it, your question is too vague

and it will take too long to address everything that you are asking.

the short answer is yes.

give me some specifics. (do you have databasemail setup? how big is big? do you want to determine the file size by percentage etc.........

*/

• Lynn Pettis (10/29/2008)

I'd set the autogrowth to a fixed amount, not a percentage.

I couldn't agree more. This applies to both log and data files, IMO. A 120 MB seems awful small but without knowing more detail, such as data file size, volume of transactions and such, it's difficult to supply meaningful advice. If you data file is around 200MB, transaction volume is low, maintenace is done infrequently (shame on you if that's the case!), then you're probably OK. See the other suggestions about training/books. Seems like you need to get a better handle on your environment. Most of us will help but our response can only be as good as the information we receive. Give us a better understanding of your environment and any issues you may be facing and we can point you towards a solution.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• recovery interval (min)03276700

allow updates0100

user connections03276700

locks5000214748364700

open objects0214748364700

fill factor (%)010000

media retention036500

nested triggers0111

remote access0111

two digit year cutoff1753999920492049

default full-text language0214748364710331033

default language0999900

max worker threads3232767255255

remote proc trans0100

network packet size (B)5123276740964096

index create memory (KB)704214748364700

priority boost0100

show advanced options0111

remote login timeout (s)021474836472020

remote query timeout (s)02147483647600600

cursor threshold-12147483647-1-1

min memory per query (KB)512214748364710241024

query wait (s)-12147483647-1-1

set working set size0100

user options03276700

affinity mask-2147483648214748364700

max text repl size (B)021474836476553665536

cost threshold for parallelism03276755

max degree of parallelism03200

min server memory (MB)0214748364700

max server memory (MB)4214748364721474836472147483647

query governor cost limit0214748364700

lightweight pooling0100

scan for startup procs0100

c2 audit mode0100

awe enabled0100

Cross DB Ownership Chaining0111

• yulichka (10/31/2008)

recovery interval (min)03276700

allow updates0100

What's the question?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am new with DB and new at my work and trying to figure out and get some help if my server is setup properly. Thank you

• The only way for anyone to help is to know what issues your are facing. Nobody here knows your environment so if you are having problems, detail them and someone will help. Configuration settings, that you supplied, may be useful after we know what your facing but alone, they're relatively meaningless.

• For this server I am not facing any problems. I need to know if this server is sat properly. I am trying to see if server has enough memory, to sat integrity job and optimization job.Also need to know if transaction log and data sat properly. Thank you

• It's near impossible to say without knowing a lot more about your environment, your setup, the databases you have, the activity on them, the hardware and a fair bit more.

Is there a senior DBA there that you can ask? Can you ask about some admin-related training?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Just to add a little to Gail's last post, and this is not meant as a putdown - if there is no other "more senior" DBA on staff, seek some quality outside help until you get training. Now, having said that, training is only going to get you so far. Experience and exposure to all the nuances that is SQL is going to be you're real teacher and that comes with time. Good Luck (I have a feeling you may need it).

Lastly, do not hesitate to post when you do have issues. Just keep in mind that the more detail you can provide, the better (and quicker) the reponses will be.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply