Towards a Single Management Stack

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Towards a Single Management Stack

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Even when pipeline issues are resolved, there is a lot more that is required. It isn't enough that scripts will run; the scripts have to be easily editable in a range of Linux-based text editors such as VS Code and Sublime, with IntelliSense and debugging

The editors are the easy part. I currently use VS Code on Windows and Linux (Mint 17.3), and it's really a dream compared to the bloat in either VS Studio or Emacs. I can edit F# code in either OS and I'm currently working through "Programming in D" using VS Code and it's working well. Colour me impressed. (Please don't let the Windows 10 management touch this!)

The pain is in the mismatch between the Windows environment that PowerShell depends on and the Linux developers expectations.

• First off, I am usually the worst predictor of anything.

I think that the overall IT community will struggle to accept a Microsoft derived solution and that this is a cultural issue more than a technical one. What I hear from non-MS communities is that there is wholesale dismissal and sniggering that a MS solution could be either open or accepted.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I think that Microsoft has had to make fundamental changes. They are doing the open PowerShell primarily because their major corporate clients want them to. We all sniggered when they did Microsoft Office for iOS but it really is quite good, and deservedly popular.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Im working on a related wiki page:

https://sqlserver.miraheze.org/wiki/PowerShell

if anyone wants to contribute or suggest a link.

412-977-3526 call/text

• PowerShell is essentially a system integration tool. It needs to be: robust in terms of features, portable, easy to use, and broadly accepted (a large user base). It seems to me that the competing alternatives, despite their merits, are fractured. PowerShell may become the defacto system integration tool for the same reason that MS Office became the defacto office productivity tool.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• It's really a pity that Microsoft abandoned IronPython and pushed PowerShell (even though I can't confirm that the two decisions were coupled in any way). The former is still miles beyond the latter in its capabilities and usability. Python has always been the language that's easy to learn and hard to forget. I find that every time I come back to PS after a a few weeks or months, I've forgotten much of it and have to learn it anew -- which I never find easy.

I suppose politics were involved somewhere along the line, which is even more regrettable. Still, I've resigned myself to the fact that it is what it is.

FWIW though, using SMO in IronPython is really a delight. Easy on the eyes, easy on the brain!

As always, YMMV

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply