To Infinity and Beyond

• My response was more on the subject of 'space tourism'.

Dave Morris :alien:

"Measure twice, saw once"

• seatedElephant (8/15/2016)

My response was more on the subject of 'space tourism'.

Ah, that does change the perspective and I can almost agree with you now. Might I suggest editing your original post...

"This may not be popular (and "party pooperesque"), but, from a space tourism perspective, I'm not sure the Earth needs the ill effects..." ...note my suggestions in bold. You'll surely be flamed by those who don't read past the first page and see your last post (which is probably 90% of any user forum base).

😀

• thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

seatedElephant (8/15/2016)

My response was more on the subject of 'space tourism'.

Ah, that does change the perspective and I can almost agree with you now. Might I suggest editing your original post...

"This may not be popular (and "party pooperesque"), but, from a space tourism perspective, I'm not sure the Earth needs the ill effects..." ...note my suggestions in bold. You'll surely be flamed by those who don't read past the first page and see your last post (which is probably 90% of any user forum base).

😀

Good idea.... don't want to get burnt. 😀

Dave Morris :alien:

"Measure twice, saw once"

• Just a few hundred years ago people thought it was dangerous to hop on a wind-driven ship with sails in hopes of making it to the "new world" in a couple of weeks or so. They were correct but a few centuries later and it's a trip many people make every day in just a few hours or so.

Today, there are people who think it is dangerous to travel in space and they are correct. I'm hoping advances in technology happen exponentially so that it will be less than a few hundred years before we learn how to travel from galaxy to galaxy as effortlessly as we travel from continent to continent today.

Looking forward to the day when the "new world" literally is a new world!

• .. The explosion in aircraft innovation came when a variety of private companies began to build and fly aircraft. ..

Don't say "explosion" in the context of manned rockets. Instead say "temporary setbacks". :ermm:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I can't wait for space exploration to get beyond the confides of our planet! I hope that one day I'll be able to afford such travel.

And boy, do I remember that DBA in Space contest! I gotta confess though, that at the time I wanted to participate but I never could figure out how to. I expected the links to each question to appear in the SSC newsletter, but after the first one... Well, let's just say if the link was there I never saw them. I just spent probably more time than I should have, watching the videos that were linked to from that first one, on YouTube. Were they there, back in 2011?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

The explosion in aircraft ...

Now, there's two words that should never be so close together in a sentence. 😀

...definitely stand out members...

Is that a deliberate attempt to create an unfortunate turn of phrase?

Or is it just me?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

Or is it just me?

Heh... I didn't have to attempt anything. It IS an unfortunate combination of words even when you put it back in the context used. Maybe I only think so because I remember exactly what I was doing when I was listening to the launch of the first shuttle that we lost and what I was doing when the 3 Apollo astronauts burned on the pad.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

Or is it just me?

Heh... I didn't have to attempt anything. It IS an unfortunate combination of words even when you put it back in the context used. Maybe I only think so because I remember exactly what I was doing when I was listening to the launch of the first shuttle that we lost and what I was doing when the 3 Apollo astronauts burned on the pad.

Those losses were very sad.

However, I was referring to Captain Euphemism (thisisfutile) 😛

Gaz

• seatedElephant (8/15/2016)

This may not be popular (and "party pooperesque"), but from a space tourism perspective I'm not sure the Earth needs the ill effects of burning tonnes of rocket fuel for the pleasure of those in the very highest income brackets in the world. Future generations and mainly the poor will be picking up the bill ultimately.

Using rockets to reach space is the most primitive form of space travel. Unfortunately it is also the latest technology so far. I have an idea of how to make a millenium falcon type space ship that will take off into space without any exhaust. Unfortunately I don't know how to get backers to invest money (possibly a billion $) in my idea to research it.

Re your post, Mankind must expand into other stars and galaxies or face extinction. An interstellar species is highly unlikely to go extinct.

• Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

Or is it just me?

You guys make me think of the people living (or who lived)in the Knysna Forest in South Africa. There were also massive elephants in that forest, very aggressive, and these people were so superstitious, no-one was allowed to say the word elephant, they called them big feet, because they believed you called the elephants when you said the word elephant.

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

Good point.

• Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

Or is it just me?

I don't understand. Did I say something to offend? If so, I didn't do that intentionally.

• thisisfutile (8/22/2016)

Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

Gary Varga (8/15/2016)

thisisfutile (8/15/2016)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

From the Article:

Or is it just me?

I don't understand. Did I say something to offend? If so, I didn't do that intentionally.

Oh boy, it hit me while I was commuting home what you were eluding too. If it had been a snake, it would have bit me (no pun intended). I laughed out loud and then felt a little embarrassed that it took me so long to realize. :hehe:

• Slow burners are the best. I am glad that I made you laugh. That has made my day.

Gaz

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply