Timeout expired

• I am running servlets on IIS which access SQL server. When I get a lot of traffic I get "The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached. ". How do increase the maximum pool size?

You will never walk alone

• Do you use Microsoft transactiom server(MTS) this is the only place that i can think connections will be pooled.

• First make sure you are closing your connections immediately when processing is done (do not set connect = nothing as this is what keeps ppoling alive).

Also, my understanding is the Pool SIze is dynamic and relates to the avaialble memory. I would open Profiler and check the number of Open Connections and the amount of memory available at the time the issue occurrs. Pooling is handled in COM Services but default is dynamic.

• quote:

Do you use Microsoft transactiom server(MTS) this is the only place that i can think connections will be pooled.

No I don't think so. I am using SQL Server 2000 running on 4 x processors

• What version of Windows is IIS running on?

If NT4 it will be MTS where COM components run.

If Win2K or later the name was change to COM services.

But go back to what I said as I still believe it is dynamically assigned based on available memory (On the server where IIS is running). The popol will grow and shirnk base on number of connections.

• With .Net it defaults to 100, think you can change with a param in the connect string. Probably about the same for ADO. You might try looking for the MDAC SDK on MSDN.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• quote:

What version of Windows is IIS running on?

If NT4 it will be MTS where COM components run.

If Win2K or later the name was change to COM services.

But go back to what I said as I still believe it is dynamically assigned based on available memory (On the server where IIS is running). The popol will grow and shirnk base on number of connections.

Running Win2K server and IIS5

• On th connection string for the database the pooling option must be set to true in order for the connection to be obtained from a pool, in the connection sting you can also set Min Pool Size and Max Pool Size. if these are not set they would be using default values of min 0 max 100. If you need more you can change this but are you sure you are closing or disposing of connections after use to release them back to the pool.

Edited by - miketomkies on 05/21/2003 06:19:54 AM

• Would "Maximum Worker Threads" (SQL Server internal value) affect this at all? We were advised to adjust this value for our Production database server from the default of 255 to 1000 (though there's no direct evidence that this actually did anything). Might this affect pooling, by restricting how much activity SQL Server can engage in? A long shot, but you never know.

Philip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply