Time Off

• Cookout

It's a holiday weekend in the US this weekend. Most of us have Monday off, not me of course, but most of you out there get a three day weekend to relax and hopefully enjoy some great weather outdoors with your friends and family.

It's a quiet weekend here at the ranch, but it's one that I'll get to enjoy around the house: shoveling manure, moving sand, cutting grass, and hopefully firing up the grill. Still, it should be a nice weekend with no pressure, no schedule, and getting some things done.

So with that in mind, here's an easy poll for the weekend that many of you are getting started on:

What's a good way for a DBA to relax on a three day weekend?

I'm easy and I can imagine many of you can guess for me. It's time at home, unwired for the most part, watching baseball and hanging out with the family.

I know you all have different interests or plans, but take a moment, share some ideas, and most of all, dream about what you'd really like.

• Pig hunting!!!!!! Out in the middle of the NZ bush without any computer hardware for miles.

• Relaxing at the beach with a bbq, an esky of drinks and a couple of kg of steak. Add is a game of beach footy and you are set for relaxation.

• New Hobby, Archery

oh yeah, and no doubt a BBQ at some point too

• Rock climbing in Montagu, the best climbing spot in South Africa.  It's only about 2 hrs out of Cape Town, but you'll forget all about anything back in the city for the whole weekend...

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

• Hunting in the Kruger National Park with my new Nikon D80!

• Setting up that 64-bit server just to familiarize with the phenomenon.

• Morris dancing. The ideal combination of exercise, live music, good beer and (hopefully) a hog roast on Monday!

• As an American living in London, this is the first weekend for about nine months without any top league football (soccer).  As a result I'll probably bring the fiancee shopping and take her for a nice lunch.  Bookending this excitement will be the other two of my three favourite things, clay pigeon shooting and karaoke.  Might also take a stab at installing Linux for the first time...

• If the weather holds in East Anglia i'll be enjoying a nice game of cricket on Saturday. On Sunday I will be watching the Monaco grand prix with my feet up and a nice cold beer in my hand

I'll be trying to forget all about virtual servers and upgrading from SQL2k to SQL2005, that can wait until i'm back in the office on Tuesday

• At the archery range

Lounging in bed reading a good book

Playing computer games (I'm replaying starcraft in anticipation of starcraft 2)

Dinner with friends.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I will be shuttling my kids to soccer matches in Northern Virginia.  But, at the back of my mind, will be the real reason for the three-day, kick-off the start of summer weekend....remembering those who sacrificed all for us to live in the US with the freedoms we have.

All gave some, some gave all.  Rest in Peace Maj Brian Downs, KIA 30 May 2005

• oh yeah, and a stag do tomorrow

Go-karting, curry, entertainment, that sort of thing

• Being on call the entire weekend and not being able to get vary far from a computer encase I need to use it.  Maybe a bbq hamburger and a beer.  Maybe something near or on the water if time permits and no one calls from the office.

Jim Phillips
    SQL Server DBA

• In my opinion DIVING...DIVING...and DIVING...lol

The worst day diving is better than the best day working.

Alex Rosa

MCDBA, MCTS

Brazil

---------------------
    Alex Rosa
    http://www.keep-learning.com/blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply