Throttling the CPU / Disk IO for SQL Restore Option

• Thank you for your input. I understand that upgrading the server is the way to go. Before we go that route, I just wanted to make sure if there are any other options that we might NOT be aware of. It doesn't look like it.

• Sridhar-137443 - Friday, July 20, 2018 7:23 AM

Thank you for your input. I understand that upgrading the server is the way to go. Before we go that route, I just wanted to make sure if there are any other options that we might NOT be aware of. It doesn't look like it.

I know you are aware of the limits with the resources. Sometimes threads are fully read so I was just repeating it again for others.
    I like how you didn't just blow it off and were thinking about company costs. In my opinion, we have a responsibility to do things like that. Due Diligence.

Sue

• Sridhar-137443 - Friday, July 20, 2018 7:23 AM

Thank you for your input. I understand that upgrading the server is the way to go. Before we go that route, I just wanted to make sure if there are any other options that we might NOT be aware of. It doesn't look like it.

As does Sue, I absolutely agree with that kind of diligence.  There are, however, some options to speed things up.  Go back and read some of the things I talked about in this thread.  Such things DO work.  I just don't know if they'll work well enough to solve the problem of restores bleeding over into the workday.

Also, I don't know if Azure allows for compressed backups but those are also a huge time saver because they seriously reduce the amount of bytes that have to go over the pipe.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This is AWS - but it can easily go to next level of vm (m4.2large - 4 CPU, 16 GB RAM)

Azure you could easily go to a higher spec for quite an acceptable value - 5K USD a year gets you a 4 vCpu/64GB ram 1TB disk

• Thanks for the correction, there.  I meant to type AWS but it came out as Azure. Not a good reason but that's the reason. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply