This is a toughy!

• Ok, what I need to try to do is this. I want to be able to Select a comma delimited list of Values from one table, where they match the ID of a Parent Table, and have those Values in 1 (one) column in the returned Row(s).

For example:

Employees

EmployeeChildren (Tables can be Joined by EmpID)

Ok, what the Resultset would look like would be something like this:

FirstName, LastName, [ChildrenList]

I have seen how do to something similar using a "Case" statement, but that will not work for this because there is no pre-defined set number of Values coming from the Sub-Table.

Any ideas?

• This example uses pubs, but the idea's the same...

CREATE FUNCTION BookList
    (@au_id id)
    RETURNS VARCHAR(8000)
    AS
    BEGIN
    DECLARE @Booklist VARCHAR(8000)
    SELECT @Booklist = ISNULL(@Booklist + ',' + t.title, t.title) from
    titles t, titleauthor ta
    where ta.au_id = @au_id
    and t.title_id = ta.title_id
    RETURN @Booklist
    END
    GO

SELECT au_lname, au_fname, Booklist = dbo.BookList (au_id) from authors
    GO

Cheers,
    - Mark

• If you are trying to do this in QA and not from another app you can save a bit of coding effort if you change the results output format under Tools->Options... -> "Results" tab and you will find it. Just FYI.

• Sweet! Thanks, this worked! One more question...is it possible to make a Generic function for any Table that I might want to do this to?

Example:

CREATE FUNCTION GetDataList

(@TableName VarChar(128), @KeyColumn VarChar(25), @ListColumn VarChar(25), @ID SmallInt)

RETURNS VARCHAR(8000)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @List VARCHAR(8000)

Select @List = IsNull(@List + ',' + @ListColumn, @ListColumn)

From @Table

Where @KeyColumn = @ID

RETURN @List

END

GO

I know the above Syntax is totally wrong, but is there someway possible? If not, I guess I'll deal with it =P.

Thanks for the help!

• Not sure if it will work. Also if you don't specify the table name etc. the optimiser will have trouble compiling the function and you may not get many speed benefits.

You could use sysobjects to build a more generic function.

Besides, do you really need a delimited list of every table?

• Probably not, I just wondered if it could be done. Most of the time, if possible, I like to create Generic routines...if it can't be done, so be it =0).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply